Monday, July 8, 2013

Daily Wisdom, Proverbs 8

Proverbs 8

What are you living for? What is the goal that you are working towards? What is your dream achievement?

"Does not wisdom call, and understanding life up her voice?... 'Listen, for I will speak noble things; and the opening of my lips will reveal right things. For my mouth will utter truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips. All the utterances of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing crooked or perverted in them. They are straightforward to him who understands, and right to those who find knowledge. Take my instruction and not silver, and knowledge rather than choicest gold. For wisdom is better than jewels; and all desirable things cannot compare with her'" (verses 1, 6-11).

Wisdom is available for all. It is there for the taking, but so few seek it. So few make time to seek it. So few put a priority on seeking it. Rather than seeking something that brings nothing but gain in so many ways, they seek wealth through their own strength or dishonesty. They value worldly treasure more than the wealth of knowledge.

Without wisdom we are doomed to corruption and wickedness. We are full of lies and deceit. We lead others astray for our own gain, and we're ok with it. In fact as a society we praise those who do this well and put them on a pedestal. Our focus has shifted from eternal value to momentary gain, and we suffer greatly because of it.

"I, wisdom, dwell with prudence, and I find knowledge and discretion. The fear of the LORD is to hate evil; pride and arrogance and the evil way and the perverted mouth, I hate. Counsel is mine and sound wisdom; I am understanding, power is mine. By me kings reign, and rulers decree justice. By me princes rule, and nobles, all who judge rightly. I love those who love me; and those who diligently seek me will find me. Riches and honor are with me, enduring wealth and righteousness. My fruit is better than gold, even pure gold, and my yield better than choice silver. I walk in the way of righteousness, in the midst of the paths of justice, to endow those who love me with wealth, that I may fill their treasuries" (verses 12-21).

Without wisdom there can be no justice or leadership. Without wisdom there can be no morality or righteousness. Apart from wisdom there is only poverty and shame. But it doesn't have to be this way. All who diligently seek wisdom will find it. All who strive for righteousness will achieve it. And wisdom offers wealth.

With wisdom there is contentment and satisfaction. There is an emphasis and focus on eternal things. With wisdom comes provision for every need, and abundant blessings. This is not the Prosperity Gospel, though it might sound like it. God blesses us so that we can bless others, not so we can sit comfortably and watch everyone one else struggle. Wisdom gives us the ability to bless others. And wisdom leads to the greatest treasure of all.

"Now therefore, O sons, listen to me, for blessed are they who keep my ways. Heed instruction and be wise, and do not neglect it. Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at my doorposts. for he who finds me finds life and obtains favor from the LORD. But he who sins against me injures himself; all those who hate me love death" (verses 32-36).

He who finds wisdom finds life and obtains favor form the LORD. Wisdom is found on the path of righteousness. It is this path that God smiles upon and leads to life. But sin only brings death. It is a cancer that eats us away, and hurts those around us. Sin and wisdom cannot coexist. You cannot sin and be wise. This is the message of Proverbs 8.

"I have been young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or his descendants begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment