Monday, July 15, 2013

Daily Wisdom, Proverbs 15

Proverbs 15

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.  The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable, but the mouth of fools spouts folly... A soothing tongue is a tree of life, but perversion in it crushes the spirit... The lips of the wise spread knowledge, but the hearts if fools are not so.  The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD, but The prayer of the upright is His delight... The mind of the intelligent seeks knowledge, but the mouth of fools feeds on folly... A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, but the slow to anger calms a dispute.  Evil plans are an abomination to the Lord, but pleasant words are pure... The heart of the righteous ponders how to answer, but the mouth of the wicked pours out evil things.  The LORD is far from the wicked, but He hears the prayer of the righteous" (verses 1-2, 4, 7-8, 14, 18, 26, 28-29).

The theme of speech stood out to me today.  Proverbs 18 says that death and life are in the power of the tongue, and James 3.8-10a says, "But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison.  With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing."

The tongue has the power to build up and to tear down.  With our words we can make people feel their absolute best, or lower than dirt.  It can can end a crisis before it escalates, or it can start a war.  It all depends on how we use it.

How do you use your's?  How do you use your's when you're with one other person?

About a year ago I was preparing to leave a church.  It hadn't been the best experience, and my wife and I were both hurt.  I had two choices as I was preparing the final message.  One,  I could let them have it.  I could tell them how much they had hurt us and how much they had failed to love the young pastor couple who had done the best they could in their fist pastorate.  Or, option two, I could give them a message of hope and forgiveness.  I could share the love of Christ.  

Option one was go out with guns blazing, an option that we usually feel like doing when we've been hurt.  Option two was to leave well, to do what Christ would do.  I ended that final service with communion, and as much as the human side of me didn't want to, I offered every person in the church the cup of friendship as my final act as their pastor.  It wasn't easy, but it was what I knew was right, and the action was pleasing to God.  It didn't build walls or burn bridges, it extended a hand of friendship.

What do we do with our words?  So often it's what translates into our actions, and there is so much power in what we say.  Think about this too, if your words are only used to tear others down, do you think God cares what you have to say to Him?  That's why it says "The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD, but The prayer of the upright is His delight."  What is true of your tongue?

"I have been young and now I am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his descendants begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment