Monday, July 1, 2013

Daily Wisdom, Proverbs 1

For a few months now I've wanted to do a daily blog through the book of Proverbs. The book contains 31 chapters, and I have personally done the monthly read through several times in my life. Recently I have felt led to undertake the task of a daily blog post and walk through the book of Proverbs. I'm going to try to post each morning, but this may vary based on my work schedule.

Today we begin a 31 day journey through the book of Proverbs. Not everything in each chapter will stand out to you as you read, but in the previous studies I have done with this book I have always been hit by something relevant for what I face during the day. I'm not sure what this next month has in store, but we will find the wisdom for each day in the word of God. Some days it will be several verses, other days just two or three, but all of them contain the words of life.

Proverbs 1

The beginning of this chapter tells us the purpose of this book. "To know wisdom and instruction, to discern the sayings of understanding, to receive instruction in wise behavior, righteousness, justice, and equity; to give prudence to the naive, to the youth knowledge and discretion, a wise man will hear and increase in learning, and a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel, to understand a proverb and a figure, the words of the wise and their riddles" (verses 2-6).

This book is written so that those who read it will find wisdom to live righteous lives. Those who are wise already will gain more wisdom from the words written on these pages. And the next verse declares that wisdom comes from God. "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction."

Wisdom and instruction are to be passed down generationally, and each generation is to be taught to fear God. "Hear, my son, your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching; indeed, they are a graceful wreath to your head and ornaments about your neck. My son, if sinners entice you, do not consent...My son, don not walk in the way with them. Keep your feet from their path, for their feet run to evil and they hasten to shed blood... but they lie in their own blood; they ambush their own lives. So are the ways of everyone who gains by violence; it takes away the life of its possessors" (verses 8-10, 15-16, 18-19).

Parents are to teach their children the ways of God and set their feet on the path of righteousness. They must be taught to flee from sin because it leads only to death. Parents, you play a huge role in the eternal destiny of your child. The example you set and the time and wisdom you invest have eternal significance. It is crucial that you pass the fear of God down to your children, it will keep them from sin.

"Wisdom shouts in the street, she lifts her voice in the square; at the head of the noisy streets she cries out; at the entrance of the gates in the city she utters her sayings: "How long, O naive ones, will you love being simple-minded? And scoffers delight themselves in scoffing and fools hate knowledge? Turn to my reproof, behold, I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you" (verses 20-23).

Wisdom is there for all, but so often people delight in ignorance and shallowness. People don't want to walk the path required to gain wisdom, and we are a society that is full of the foolish. Wisdom laughs at the calamity we are facing because we have refused her. "Then they will call on me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently but they will not find me, because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the LORD. They would not accept my counsel, they spurned all my reproof. So they shall eat of the fruit of their own way and be satiated with their own devices. For the waywardness of the naive will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them" (verses 28-32).

Wisdom is not found instantly during times of chaos, unless it has been gained over years of tranquility and trials. It is something that takes years to discover, and when we do possess it the times of struggle end up being moments where we mature and gain more wisdom. "But he who listens to me shall live securely and will be at ease from the dread of evil" (verse 33). Wisdom brings life and peace during the chaos and uncertainty. The wise don't panic, they trust and they learn.

Wisdom comes from the fear of the LORD and leads to life, Proverbs 1.

"I have been young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or his descendants begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment