Sunday, July 7, 2013

Daily Wisdom, Proverbs 7

Proverbs 7

As I've been reading through this book for the past week I've noticed something, so far every proverb contains the phrase "my son". It's something I have picked up on this time around. Each of these teachings is from a loving father to his beloved son. He is passing crucial teachings on to his children so that they might find life.

I have heard that children don't come with instruction manuals, but I'm beginning to think the people who say that haven't read the book of Proverbs. As I've studied this past week I have found essential lessons that I will teach my children, the most important of them is Proverbs 3.5-6. And here in Proverbs 7 an emphasis is put on these lessons.

"My son, keep my words and treasure my commandments within you. Keep my commandments and live, and my teaching as the apple of of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart. Say to wisdom, 'You are my sister,' and call understanding your intimate friend;" (verses 1-4).

For many the idea of teaching and lessons makes you think of school. The current education system is set up in a way that encourages short term memorization so that tests can be passed. Quite often the information is quickly forgotten to make room for new information for the next test.

I couldn't tell you most of what I learned in school, not even college. At the end of my senior year of college we took a test that covered information from all four years. I remember reading some questions and thinking, "We learned that?!" and then there was the "I know how to do that, but I don't remember what it's called." And all of this shows a flaw in the education system. And we see how different teaching these life lessons must be.

These are not things that we can afford to learn and forget. These must be part of who we are. These lessons must be our most treasured possessions, because these alone lead to life. And in order for the urgency of these lessons to be realized they must be lived out by the teacher.

In college I was blessed to be learning ministry from men who had experience in the field. I wasn't learning how to pastor from academics who had never spent time in the field. I was learning from soldiers who had served on the front lines. Yes, times have changed and some of the things they did then will not work today, but they teach from experience, and that carries so much weight.

For my children to understand when I tell them, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." they must see it lived out in my life. They must see me trust God in times of uncertainty. They need to hear the stories of how God has provided and come through in the past. And when they see the voice of experience from the front lines living out the teaching and God always coming through, they will know that they can trust Him.

When our children see that the important things we teach are the same things we live by they will see the truth in the lessons. They will see that we have depended upon God and that He has never failed us, and they will know that they can trust Him as well. They will know that your teachings are true and worth learning. And as they follow them they will find life and intimacy with God.

"I have been young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or his descendants begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment