Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Daily Wisdom, Proverbs 30

Proverbs 30

"Every word of God is tested; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar" (verses 5-6).

These verses make me think of Paul's words to Timothy, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work" (2 Timothy 3.16-17). God is the author of truth, and everything He has said has stood the test of time. The more I learn the more I see how much God really does know what He is talking about.

Today, it is crucial that His word not be compromised or watered down. Too often this happens, it happened back in Paul's day. Immediately after the words above he says this, "I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths. But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry" (2 Timothy 4.1-5).

God's truth is not always popular, every day it gets less and less so. But those who hear His words and ignore them will one day have to answer why. Those who speak falsely and lead others astray will one day have to give an account for what they have done. Those who add to His words, those who miscommunicate them, will be revealed as liars. But those who dwell in His word. Those who take refuge and intimately learn what God has said, He will be their shield and security. They will stand in His presence and receive honor.

"Two things I asked of You, do not refuse me before I die: Keep deception and lies far from me, give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is my portion, that I not be full and deny You and say, 'Who is the LORD?' and profane the name of my God" (verses 7-9).

Here we see glimpses of the Lord's Prayer from Matthew 6. "Feed me with the food that is my portion", "Give us this day our daily bread". "Keep deception and lies far from me", "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil". The prayer to be kept from things that would lead you astray, and the prayer to have your needs met. This prayer shows the desire for intimacy and dependence upon God. This is how we were meant to live.

"I have been young and now I am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his descendants begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment