Saturday, July 13, 2013

Daily Wisdom, Proverbs 13

Proverbs 13

At some point in our lives we've all heard someone quote something from the Bible that isn't really in the Bible.  They are usually famous sayings from one of America's founding fathers, like "A penny saved is a penny earned."  You won't find that anywhere in the 2,000 ish pages of Scripture.  And just so you know "Cleanliness is next to Godliness" isn't in there either.

But there is one of these wise sayings that actually comes from Proverbs 13, any guesses?


 "Spare the rod, spoil the child." 

Or as verse 24 says, "He who withholds his rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him diligently."  Parents, spank your children.  Do not beat them without mercy for making a mistake.  Do not hit them out of anger as you look for something to take your frustration out on.  But do spank them out o love, disciplining and and correcting them.  It may save their lives.

Proverbs 13 begins with this statement, "A wise son accepts his father's discipline, but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke."  This chapter continues the contrast of the righteous and the wicked, guess which son was spanked.  

I will spank my children, it is my responsibility as their father, and it is done for their benefit.  And I have no doubt that it will hurt me more than it will hurt them, I hate when I have to discipline my dog.  But if I don't discipline them, they will be far worse off. 

Parents, if you want your children to be wise, spank them, but don't just do it, make sure they know why, so they can understand and accept it.  Children, realize the discipline from your parents is done because they love you and for your benefit.

"I have been young and now I am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his descendants begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment