Thursday, May 3, 2012

Passion

Recently I read Crazy Love and Forgotten God by Francis Chan. I found that pretty much everything in Crazy Love I've thought before, and parts of Forgotten God I had too. It was neat seeing someone else, with far more life experience and Biblical understanding, sharing my thoughts. It showed me that I'm thinking along the right path.

On the back of Crazy Love it says that Francis is committed to teaching directly from the Bible and passionate about seeing the church display a much deeper love for Jesus. And as I've thought about it that's what I really feel passionate about as well.

I love preaching/teaching, I love the study and sharing of what God reveals to me. I love the discipling aspect of Christianity. For the last few years, starting late in college, God has been showing me a lot through Philippians about genuine Christianity and a relationship with Him. I want to help people see what God intended for life to be.

I've come to see that the goal of life is to become like Christ and the purpose it to help others become like Christ. I recently took a leadership class and we had to develop a personal mission statement. The only thing that came to me was Live, Preach, Glorify, Love.

Live in the Spirit, Preach the Gospel of Jesus, Glorify the Father, Love God and others.

I want to help the Church become what it was created to be. I don't want to waste time doing things that don't matter in the light of eternity, and I still find myself doing that a lot. But as I've performed a funeral this year and come to a deeper understand of the reality of Hell, I don't want to waste time. I want my life to matter for the Kingdom, I want to leave the Church and the world better than when I got here.

Aside from preaching/teaching I specifically want to work with boys and men. I want to help them become and know that they are men, and help them to see what God expects of men. I want to help them realize that they are warriors created in the image of a warrior God who is strong and courageous and calls them to be the same. I want to help people see what God calls us to, and that life is ultimately about giving Him glory. I want to help men be men of God.

It starts we me being that man. It starts with me being the man God has called me to be, the husband my wife deserves, and the leader of His flock that He expects. I know it means being courageous and calling people out of idleness and complacency to greater things. It means boldly standing on the truth and proclaiming it, regardless of the consequences. It means sacrifice, and hard work. And I want to be willing to do whatever I am asked to do.

I want my life to make a difference for God.

To God alone be the glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment