Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Delightful Hour with God

A few weeks ago I met with my Co-District Superintendants, and we talked about how crucial prayer is. As we discussed some issues concerning the church right now their advice was to pray. They mentioned a prayer guide they used at the pastor's and wives retreat this past winter, and have since gotten me a copy of it.

As I've used it a few times now, it's a very helpful guide. It is set up to help you pray for an hour and stay focused on it. It follows the guidelines Jesus gave with the Lord's prayer in Matthew 6.

Our response to everything needs to be prayer. Below I have given the guide, called "A Delightful Hour With God" and at the bottom is a link to print off the guide so it can be easily copied onto the front and back of a piece of paper. I encourage you to use this. Prayer is the only tool we have that can accomplish things. May God bless your time with Him, and may He draw you closer to His heart through this hour.


A Delightful Hour With God

“For the LORD delights in you…” Isaiah 62:4 NKJV

“Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it…” Colossians 4:2


Adoration of God’s Glorious Names and Attributes (5 min)
“Our Father in Heaven” - Matthew 6:9a NKJV

Abba Father. Yahweh–The God who was, who is, who is to come. Elohim- Father, Son and Spirit. Jehovah Sabbaoth-Lord of Hosts. Jehovah Melech-King of Kings. Jehovah Shalom-Lord of Peace. El Shaddai-God Almighty All Sufficient One. El Elyon-God Most High. Adonai-Master and Lord. Awman- Faithful God. Jehovah Nissi-God My Victorious Banner. Jehovah Roi-God My Shepherd. Jehovah Jireh-God My Provider. Jehovah Tsidkenu-God My Rightousness. Jehovah Mikkadesh-God My Sanctifier. Makhseh-My Refuge. Jehovah Rapha-My Glorious Healer. Ancient of Days. Our Dwelling Place. Eternal Creator God. Jesus Savior/Messiah. Bright Morning Star. Wonderful. Counselor. Prince of Peace. Lamb of God. My Sacrifice. All Consuming Fire. Beautiful. My Bridegroom Friend. The Way, The Truth, The Life. Redeemer. Wisdom. Holy. Hope of Glory. Anchor of my soul. Light. My Life my All…

Approach His Throne of Holiness with Repentance (5 min)
“Hallowed be Your name…” Matthew 6:9b

• Do I have any unconfessed sin or doubtful practices?
• Are there any obstacles keeping me from God?
• Have I been following the leadership of the Holy Spirit?
• Ask God for genuine life change and cleansing from sin.

“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9

Prayer for God’s Purposes to be Fulfilled in Others
“Your kingdom come, Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven” Mt. 6:10

• Prayer for the salvation of lost people (5 min)

List 5 unsaved friends, families or individuals

1. ____________________________________
2. ____________________________________
3. ____________________________________
4. ____________________________________
5. ____________________________________

“The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." Matthew 9:38
“Your kingdom come, Your will be done…”


Prayer for Local Congregations (5 min)

1. For presence saturated houses of prayer
2. For repentance, revival and spiritual awakening
3. For leaders to downshift to deeper intimacy with Jesus
4. For fulfillment of the Great Commission
5. For unified citywide prayer movements

• Prayer for the Nations to come to Christ (5 min)

1. For nations to know Jesus as the Way, Truth and Life.
2. For missions to unreached-unengaged people groups
3. For kings, tribal leaders, governments to know Jesus
4. For the spirit of prayer and revival to be poured out

• Prayer for God’s Work in our Youth Generation (5min)

1. For radically committed young disciples for Jesus
2. For relevant ministries to reach youth
3. For young people to come to deeper intimacy with God
4. For God to raise up young leaders for the nations
5. For revival in local and national schools/colleges
6. For the fire of God in youth ministries

Spend time in Quiet Wonder Waiting in His Presence (5 min)
"Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you.” Jeremiah 31:3

Spend time simply receiving God’s love and meditating on His Father heart and Shepherd-care over your life.
“The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want…” Psalm 23:1

• God longs to be with me – what does that mean to me?
• I am God’s beloved child – He is for me!
• God is my Father and knows everything about me.
• Abba Father, what are You saying to me today?

“He rescued me because he delighted in me.” Psalm 18:19 NIV

“How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings. They are abundantly satisfied with the fullness of Your house, And You give them drink from the river of Your pleasures.” Psalm 36:7-8 NKJV


Bring your personal needs & requests before God (5 min)
“Give us this day our daily bread” Matthew 6:11

1. _________________________________________
2. _________________________________________
3. _________________________________________
4. _________________________________________
5. _________________________________________

Prayer for Reconciliation and Healing Relationships (5 min)
“Forgive our debts as we forgive our debtors…” Matthew 6:12

• Pray for forgiveness and healing of broken relationships
• Repentance for every fragment of racial prejudice
• Repentance for denominational – church divisions
• Pray for unprecedented biblical unity of the church
• Pray God would raise up multi-racial congregations
• What can I do personally to reconcile and heal?.....

Prayer for God to Breakdown Strongholds of Evil (5 min)
“Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one” Matthew 6:13

• Deliverance: Widespread rampant Sexual Immorality
• Witchcraft – Idolatry – Materialism/Greed
• Addictions –Entertainment, Drugs, Alcohol
• Global Injustice and Suffering
• The Sins of Abortion and Murder
• Racism, Ethnic hatred – Arrogance and Pride
• HIV/Aids Pandemic Globally and Locally
• Dullness, Lethargy and Unbelief in the Church
• Compromise and Shallowness in the Church
• Confess the Name of Jesus and the power of the blood!
• Put on the full armor of God and pray for protection

“Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.” Ephesians 6:10-11

Celebrate Your Life in God and Worship Him! (5 min)
“For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen” Matthew 6:13c

Take time to praise and worship the Lord. Thank God for His mercy, faithfulness and goodness in your life. Bless individuals who come to mind - in the name and power of Jesus Christ.

End your time in God’s Presence with Quiet Wonder (5 min)

• Practice The Art of Childlike Naïve Listening

“I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 18:3

“Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," Isaiah 30:21

“One thing I have desired of the LORD, That will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the LORD, And to inquire in His temple.” Psalm 27:4

“O LORD, You have searched me and known me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O LORD, You know it altogether. You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is high, I cannot attain it. Psalm 139:1-6


• Practice Living Life and Leading from the secret place

• Journal any words or reflections you sense the Spirit prompting or speaking:

Compiled by Gary Schmitz & Steve Weber from Prayers of Scripture, Global Day of Prayer and Praying Friends

(http://www.citywideprayerkc.com/docs/DelightfulHourWithGod.pdf)

To God alone be the glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment