Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Philppians 4.11-13

"Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

This is a passage I have read so many times over the last few years. I've studied it, preached it, but how do I apply it? Paul is saying that in all things he has Christ. That he is content in all circumstances because he has Christ. In Romans 8 Paul says that nothing can separate him, or us, from the love of God in Christ. No matter what we go through, we will always have the love of Christ, that nothing can separate us from.

Verse 13 is probably the most misquoted verse of Scripture. People use it to mean just about everything but what it really means. The idea Paul is talking about her is enduring anything. Paul says I can endure anything that life brings because Christ is with him, Christ is strengthening him. No matter what life brings there is nothing the Christ cannot and will not carry him through. Because of Christ we can endure, survive, and ultimately victoriously conquer every situation.

My wife has told me many times that I need to learn to be content. Part of my problem is that there is so much I want to do for God, there is so much that I want to do to build the Kingdom and help people. Life is short, I'm already a quarter of a century old, and can't believe that so much time has passed. Many times I feel like I have done nothing that matters. Part of me feels stuck. But then I must remember the different things that my mentor has told me. That God places us in different places for different reasons, and the reason for us being here might not be the reason we think.

But the important thing is realizing that no matter where we are in life is that we always have Christ. Nothing can take Christ away from us, and because of that we can endure every situation we face. Christ is the one who strengthens us, and there is nothing that Christ cannot handle.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment