Thursday, January 19, 2012

Philippians 1.29

"For to you it has been granted for Christ’s sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake,"

It has been granted for Christ's sake, that I will suffer, that all who bear His name will suffer. Jesus said that in this world there would be trouble (John 16.33) for His followers. But then He assured them, "but take courage; I have overcome the world." We will face hardships and persecutions as believers,it is part of following Christ.

Jesus dealt with difficult people. They attacked His teaching, His intelligence, His methods, His friends, and everything else He did. Jesus had people looking for some way to kill Him, and it wasn't a quick death they were seeking, but crucifixion, a long, slow, painful death. Jesus faced hardships and difficulties. Jesus suffered, and because of that I will face the same things. As far as I know, no one is wanting to flog and crucify me, but many of the other things are true.

It has been granted to Christ that His followers would not only believe in Him, but also suffer for Him. He has paid a great price to save us, and if we accept His gift of life, we must be willing to pay an equally high price. Jesus said that there would be trouble in this world. But I must take heart, you must take heart, because Jesus has overcome the world.

Christ endured far worse than most of us ever will have to, and He has overcome. I love Chris Tomlin's song, I Will Rise. "Jesus has overcome, and the grave is overwhelmed. The victory is won, He is risen from the dead. And I will rise when He calls my name; no more sorrow, no more pain. I will rise on eagles' wings, before my God fall on my knees and rise. I will rise"

Jesus has overcome, and He calls my name to join Him in victory. Because He has overcome, I can and must. He lives in me. He strengthens me and carries me. He will never leave me through any of the hardships I face. I am His beloved child, and He will not abandon me. And the promise is not just for me, but for all who accept Him.

There will be troubles in this world, it has been granted to us to suffer for Christ's sake, but take courage, Jesus has overcome; and He calls us to rise and join Him. Rise.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment