Sunday, January 8, 2012

Crown of Righteousness

Paul concludes his statement, "in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing."

Paul had fought the fight, finished the course, and kept the faith, and God gave him a crown. My mentor has shared many insights with me over the years, recently we've been talking about death. He said often times we look at death as a defeat, a loss, and a failure. We say things like, "We lost dad." or "She lost her battle with cancer." but for the Christ follower this isn't the case. Death is not defeat, or loss, but victory and gain.

Paul didn't see death as a defeat, but as a chance to make his final offering to God. He didn't see dying as failure but as great gain as he said in Philippians 1.21, "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Paul faced the end with confidence and dignity, knowing that he had faithfully served his Master, and when he passed from this world to the eternal one, he would be greeted by Christ placing the crown of righteousness upon his head and saying, "Well done, good and faithful servant." And Paul reminds us that this was not just his reward, but everyone who loves Christ and waits for Him to return.

Linda was one of them, and she has received her crown. She died of cancer, but she did not fail and she did not lose anything. We haven't lost believers who have died, they have simply gone ahead of us. They have not been defeated or shamed, and neither will we. Linda has gone on ahead, I miss her, but I will see her again.

In the movie Gladiator there is a line at the end. Juba, a gladiator friend of Maximus', buries two small carvings of Maximus' wife and son in the arena of the Coliseum after Maximus dies having fought his fight, finished his course, and kept the faith of Rome. As he covers the figures he says, "I will see you again, but not yet. Not yet." Linda, I will see you again. But not yet. My fight is not over, my course is not finished, and my faith will not be shaken. One day I will see you again as I receive my crown.

Paul's words can be ours as well. Death is not failure, but victory. There is no shame in it, but honor. Fight the good fight, finish the course, keep the faith, and you will receive the crown of righteousness from the hands of Christ.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment