Saturday, January 7, 2012

Kept the Faith

Paul finishes his statement by proclaiming, "I have kept the faith;" a phrase with a few possible meanings. If we hold with the idea of competition seen in the previous two comments, this phrase could mean that Paul has kept the rules. Athletes at the ancient Olympics would have to take an oath before the gods pledging that they had trained for at least ten months and that they would compete fairly. Paul could be saying that he has competed and lived with honor as he competed in the race of life.

The phrase has other meanings though. In the business world it would have meant that the conditions of a contract had been kept. Paul could be using it to say that he had been commissioned to the service of Christ, and that he had lived it out. He had been faithful to his master.

It could also mean that "I have kept my faith." Paul could be saying that his trust, hope, and confidence in Christ had never been shaken. No matter what he had been through he had never lost faith in Christ. He says in Philippians 4, "Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Paul had faced many trials, but he had never lost faith in Christ. He knew that Christ would sustain and provide for him no matter what he faced.

Honestly, I think Paul has all of these meanings in mind as he writes. All of them are true of his life, and all of them can be true of us as well. Linda, at the end of her life was able to say, "I have kept the faith." Cancer never shook her faith in God. As she got worse and the treatments began to work less and less she never doubted the power and goodness of God. God had been there for her all of her life, and she would not deny Him now.

Linda lived with honor and integrity. She was honest and truthful, a trusted friend and confidant. Linda would fulfill her job, and whatever she did was done perfectly. Linda kept the faith. So can we.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment