Thursday, January 12, 2012

December 21, 2012

Last night at church one of the girls in the Kids group mentioned that her dad said the world will end on December 21, 2012. There are many who feel this way, I even found the official website that has a countdown, and a list of celebrities who believe the world will end this year. Normally I just blow stuff like this off. Last year we had two predictions about the end of the world, and both of those dates came and we're still here. Many people have made comments about the end of the world, but let's look at the authority, and the standard of truth.

Mark 13.31-37, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away. But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone. Take heed, keep on the alert; for you do not know when the appointed time will come. It is like a man away on a journey, who upon leaving his house and putting his slaves in charge, assigning to each one his task, also commanded the doorkeeper to stay on the alert. Therefore, be on the alert—for you do not know when the master of the house is coming, whether in the evening, at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or in the morning— in case he should come suddenly and find you asleep. What I say to you I say to all, ‘Be on the alert!’"

Jesus said that no one knows the day or the hour but God alone. In other places He says that He will come as a thief in the night, and we must be prepared. The world could end this year, it could end in the next hour, or it could be thousands of years from now. No one knows. Jesus simply tells us to be on the alert.

Billy Graham said, "Live everyday as if Jesus will return today. But live everyday like we have to plan for the next thousand years." I've talked about this in other posts, and I truly believe this is the way we live. We live ready to go. If Jesus comes back right now, then I'm going with Him. And if not, I continue to live my life here on earth for Him and the expansion of His Kingdom, ready for Him at any moment, but preparing for a long wait if that is the case.

The world could end this December, and if it does I'll be ready. But I'm planning to wake up on December 22 and call my sister wishing her a happy birthday. If I never get to make the phone call that's fine, because I'll be worshiping God Almighty before His throne. Either way, I'm not worried, and if you have the peace of God in your life that comes from a relationship with Christ, then you don't have to be either.

Live like Jesus is coming back today, but live like we still have to wait for another thousand years.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment