Monday, January 23, 2012

Philippians 2.3-4

"Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others."

The thing that prompted me to read Philippians is the nature of the letter. It is a joyful, encouraging letter written in the mid first century. I had had a rough couple of days, and deiced to turn to some well worn pages in my Bible for comfort and encouragement. As I've been doing this study usually a single verse or small group of verses stands out to me. But today it wasn't the case. I read it expectantly, looking for what God wanted to show me, but the lesson for today wasn't really found in the specific verses I have at the beginning.

I was talking to my mentor, something I've done frequently, but I sometimes feel not frequently enough. At times after we hang up I realize that I didn't even need to call him because I already knew what he was going to say. And other times I have no idea what to do, but I know he does, and so I call him to find out. Recently, I've had several of those situations.

And as we talked last week (remember I am writing these insights a few days later so that I first share my thoughts with my wife) I told him about my study of Philippians. I shared with him the insights I had gotten, and in our conversation I ended up getting the lesson God wanted me to learn from Philippians that day. My mentor pointed out to me something that I had never noticed about this letter before. Philippians is very others focused. It isn't concerned with self at all. Thus the emphasis I have put on the verses used in the title.

Paul wrote this letter from prison. It wasn't his final imprisonment, but he had no way of knowing that. And yet in his letter, his main concern is for the church of Philippi. In chapter two he gives them the example of Christ, who is not focused on Himself in anyway. He denies His right as Lord, and instead comes as a servant to die on the cross. His focus in upon God and others. It clearly in verses 3-4, to do nothing from selfishness, but to consider others more important than ourselves. And then it gives the example of Christ. If anyone had the right to focus on themselves it was Him, but even He, Christ the creator of the universe, was fully focused on others. Paul's concern was not for his needs or well being, but on those of the church in Philippi.

Philippians is a joyful letter. And I think the key to joy in unselfish concern for others. The key to being truly joyful is to be others focused. When our main concern is for the needs of others, we are freed from worry about ourselves, and empowered to be joyful in our lives. Let us do nothing from selfish ambition, but humbly put others above ourselves, just as Christ did.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment