Tuesday, February 28, 2012

God=Life

Last night I was reading in Exodus 15, verse 26b says, "I, the Lord am your healer." God is a source of life.

Death and disease were not God's creation, but a result of the fall. God created life, God gives life; and Satan, who Jesus calls a murderer in John 8, the thief who comes to steal, kill and destroy in John 10, brings death and disease.

God gives life. Genesis 2.7 says, "Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being." John 1.4 says, "In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men." Throughout John's Gospel Jesus tells how He has come to give eternal life. He offers life as it was meant to be, God's quality of life, free from death and illness.

God gives life, not death. He is master of death, master of disease. He has power over them because He is God, but they are not from Him. Everything we see in the Bible is God offering life to those who follow Him. Jesus said in John 10.10b, "I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."

Yesterday a tragic school shooting took place in Chardon, Ohio. Often in times like this someone asks the question, "Where was God?" or "Why did God let this happen?". In all honesty, part of me doesn't know. Part of me believes it's because we've told God to get out of our schools, government, country and lives; and because He will never force Himself on anyone He politely leaves. But that doesn't mean God was absent, it doesn't mean that it caught Him by surprise. It doesn't meat that He isn't present, offering comfort to families, students, and the community.

God did not cause this tragedy to happen. God has given us free will, and this was the result of free will for harm, destruction, and death. It was not God's desire, and God was and is there now with those affected.

Psalm 34.18, "The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."

Psalm 147.3, "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."

Isaiah 41.10, "Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."

My mind goes to Psalm 23, "The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."

And Jeremiah 31, "'At that time,' declares the LORD, 'I will be the God of all the families of Israel, and they shall be My people. Thus says the LORD, the people who survived the sword found grace in the wilderness— Israel, when it went to find its rest. The LORD appeared to him from afar, saying, I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness. Again I will build you and you will be rebuilt, o virgin of Israel! Again you will take up your tambourines, and go forth to the dances of the merrymakers. Again you will plant vineyards on the hills of Samaria; the planters will plant and will enjoy them'" (verses 1-5).

To the city of Chardon, the families who have faced loss, to the teachers and students who went through this, I am praying for you.

God is the author of life. God will bring life and healing out of tragedy and destruction.

To God alone be the glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment