Tuesday, February 14, 2012

About God

This morning I read a quote that went along with what I've been thinking about for a few weeks now.

"I need to underscore a foundational fact: God's goal is not to make sure you're happy. No matter how hard it is for you to believe this, it's time to do so. Life is not about your being comfortable and happy and successful and pain free. It's about becoming the man or woman God has called you to be. Unfortunately, we will rarely hear that message proclaimed today. All the more reason for me to say it again: Life is not about you! It’s about God." -Chuck Swindoll

For the past few weeks, maybe months, there have been some tough situations that I've encountered. Part of me wonders why me? I wonder what the point of this is, and how long I'll have to deal with it. About a month ago I hit a low point due to some circumstances. My mentor was able to take the situation and turn it into an encouragement, but it still has left me wondering why.

I've met with a few other pastors in the past month, and they have been a blessing and support as well. One of them told me something that has really helped, "You're here for God, no one else." It has been that statement that has really helped me. I am here, on this assignment, really in life, for God. It is all about God, not my comfort or preferences, but God's glory.

In 2 Timothy 1.8 Paul says, "Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord or of me His prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God,". My study of 2 Timothy has been very drawn out, and I've just recently started the third commentary portion of it. But today the commentary on this verse stood out to me. It said that we must be willing to take our share of persecution for the Gospel. We do this not in our power but in God's.

Persecution is part of being a Christ follower. We see this in Romans 5 and James 1. Jesus said it in John 16.33, "In the world you have tribulation,". But they all contain hope. Jesus statement ends with, "but take courage; I have overcome the world." James says "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."
And in Romans it says "And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us."

As I write this I think of a quote from the movie Rocky Balboa, "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody!"

Following Jesus isn't easy, and God never said it would be. There will be troubles, there will be hardships, there will be persecution. If we are going to follow Jesus we must be willing to take the hits, the cheap shots, and everything else, because the road Jesus walks leads to a cross. But the cross ends at the Empty Tomb. Jesus told us that there would be hardships in the world, but to take courage, because He had overcome it. Paul said that we must be willing to suffer. In Philippians 3 he says that the suffering, the loss, ends in life as we pursue Christ.

We will face hardships, but we don't have to endure them on our own. We endure in God's strength, in God's power. And in His power we are able to victoriously conquer (Romans 8.37). God has called us into service. It involves hardship and suffering, but He will walk through it with us, and in the end we will enter His presence. This is all about God. Life for His glory.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment