Tuesday, June 19, 2012

What is Ordination?

Last night I was ordained as an Elder in the Church of the Nazarene.  It's a milestone in ministry that's taken seven years of study, work, sweat, blood, and tears (literally) to attain.  I know along the way I've been asked, "What is ordination?" or some variation of the question.  A few years ago I couldn't have told you.  I knew it was something I had to get done, but honestly I didn't really know the reason, the point, or the significance.  Honestly, no one ever explained it to me.

This past October I was trying to encourage church people to use their gifts for God, and I remembered a video my mentor made several years ago.  It's on YouTube called "Sermon on the Mound, Finding your place to serve."  In it he talks about six things that help us know our area of giftedness, and the final one gave me the answer.  The last one is confirmation, and as he says in the video, "In official ministry this is ordination.  It's where leaders confirm you and say "You're one of us."

In my interview with the Credentials board earlier this year I was asked, "What does it mean for you to be ordained."  For a split second my mind blanked, it caught me off guard, but then I remembered that video, and from that I was able to give an answer.  And as I've thought about it for the last few months and the events of the service last night I have a decent idea about what ordination is.

The key to the strength of the Spartan army was the phalanx.  The soldiers would use their massive shields to form an impenetrable wall.  They stood side by side and went toe to toe with the enemy.  The older, more experienced warriors were at the front, sides, and rear where fighting would be the most intense.  In the middle were the younger Spartans who hadn't seen much combat yet.  They were there to learn.

Preparation for ordination is being a young Spartan in the middle of the phalanx, surrounded by seasoned warriors that are their to teach them how to do battle.  But no Spartan remains in the middle forever.  Eventually the day comes when he is called to the front lines.  He is honored with the privilege to stand side by side with his brothers.  To add his shield to the wall and protect the man next to him.  It is confirmation that he is ready to fully join the fight, they know he is a capable warrior, able to stand his ground. They trust him with their lives.

We are in a battle, and pastors are on the front lines for the Kingdom.  For seven years I've been in the middle, watching, learning, occasionally getting to help a little.  But now, I've been called to the front lines.  I've been entrusted with the responsibility of standing shoulder to shoulder with my colleges as we do battle for the Kingdom.  It is a vote of confidence that I am ready to join them, that I am able to stand with them. 

At every Nazarene Ordination service the General Superintendent lays his hands on the head of the ordinand, and shares these words from 2 Timothy 4, " I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.  endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry." 

As Dr. Duarte, spoke these words and ordained me the phrase that stood out to me the most was, "endure hardship." (He said "affliction").  I was reminded that this is a call to the front lines.  That the battle still rages on, and now I'm fully immersed in the middle of it where the fighting is the most intense.  But just like the Spartans, I'm not alone.

As the General Superintendent speaks, you are surrounded by all of the Ordained Nazarene ministers who are present.  They lay hands on you and pray for you.  My wife knelt at my side.  I am not alone.  I was never alone getting to this point, and I am not alone now.  The strength of the phalanx is all of the Spartans standing side by side, overlapping their shields to protect each other.  I have joined the ranks, not set out on a solo mission.  I do not stand alone.

And most importantly, God has brought me to this point.  I love what Paul says in 2 Timothy 2.1-4, "You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.  The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.  Suffer hardship with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus.  No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of everyday life, so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier.

I am a soldier of Christ.  As an Ordained Elder it is my job to model Christlikeness, and to lead others in the path of righteousness, guiding them as they become like Christ.  It is my job to model being a godly husband and one day a godly father.  I am to seize the opportunity to mentor others who have been called into ministry, and guide them as they seek to join the front lines.   

I am grateful for the call of God on my life to bring me here.  I am grateful for the men and women who have guided me along the way, helping me get to this point.  I am grateful for the confidence of the Credentials Board and District Superintendents of the East Ohio District.  And I am grateful that this happened in 2012 so my wife was able to be by my side.  I am so grateful for her love and support.

God, I'm on the front lines now, use me to take ground for Your Kingdom. 

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you


Top: 2012 East Ohio District Ordination Class,, with Dr. Duarte (General Superintendent), Rev. Greg Kasler (District Secretary) and Co-District Superintendents, Drs. Chuck and Carla Sunberg

Bottom: Dr. Duarte ordaining me.

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Bill. As one seeking ordination it is encouraging and insightful. I have a feeling I'll be reading this one several times as I move forward toward joining the phalanx.

    ReplyDelete