Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Know Your Context

A few weeks ago my friend told me he had sold the local coffee shop that I visit weekly. He and his wife took over it about a year ago and have made it a very successful business. They have a friendly atmosphere that has constant business. They really turned it around and made it a place people frequent.

But it's a lot of work for them. My friend is there everyday at 5:00 am. His wife makes soup and scones from scratch that they sell in the coffee shop. She also works a full time job and then every night she is making food for the coffee shop. That's a big reason they sold it. They put a lot into it, and did a great job, and honestly I was a bit sad when he told me. Not only because I love the soup and scones, but because we've built a friendship through the coffee shop.

At first I saw the opportunity to build another relationship with the new owner, but that didn't happen. He had a different approach to business than my friend did. The new guy wasn't really present in the store, one of the things my friend did that made it such a good place to be. He also made several changes immediately that hurt the place.

In two weeks the new owner has killed a thriving business. It all comes down to knowing the context. Based on what happened, and what I heard he was planning, the new owner didn't realize the context of the local community. He tried to take a business in a direction that probably would work, just not here. And instead, it's pretty much done. A large amount of the customer base has been lost based on some decisions. Yesterday I drove by in the middle of the day and the lights were off. The glass door had a message, "Reopening on July 2nd".

For me, this has served as another reminder as a leader, know your context. In school as I was preparing for ministry there was something a professor said over and over, "Don't make any changes for the first year." A lot of that has to do with credibility and trust with the people that hasn't been firmly established. But also, you don't know what changes need to be made right away, or what changes are going to help or hurt the church. You don't know the context.

Without knowing the context you will make a lot of bad decisions, simply because you aren't informed about the full situation you are trying to change and the people that will be affected by the change. It's a reminder that many things need to be examined before large changes are made, and when they do come, change needs to take place slowly so people can adjust and get used to the new way of things. It's frustrating at times, I know that from first hand experience, but I've learned from others that it's a process that we must go through.

To all leaders, myself included, remember to study your context. Learn and observe, interact and feel, then change what needs to be changed. Don't go in blindly with guns blazing, because if you do you can kill a thriving business in two weeks. Be patient and learn.

To the rest of the world, have patience with your leaders. Remember, each leader brings their own style and ideas into leadership. Realize that some things will change over time (some things really need to). Have patience with your leaders and realize that they are simply doing the best they can to benefit the people.

Side note: I am largely focused on the Church since that is my area of leadership and study. I realize that not all leaders are good, that some are selfish and could care less about the people. A good leader is also a servant of the people. He serves them in part to know how to better lead them. I am writing to those under these good leaders that are God focused and Biblically grounded.

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment