Monday, June 11, 2012

Arrows

Yesterday I was reminded of something. It's not that I had forgotten it, but yesterday it came to the front of my mind. The day my wife and I got married we gave each other small gifts. Somewhere along the way I had gotten the idea to write letters to my future wife. Things happened that I wanted to share with her that I couldn't at the moment so I started writing them down. My wife is the only one to read them. I also gave her a necklace. When I was in Israel back in 2009 I had bought a necklace for my future wife. It was a cheap plastic thing which I didn't fully realize when I bought it. I ended up giving that to her after we had gotten engaged, but two of the fake stones fell out. For our wedding I bought her a new, real one and gave her that to wear.

My wife gave me a gift that I love, it's something I had really hoped she'd give me, and I was really excited to get it. She bought me a quiver. If you don't know what it is, it's a leather bag that goes across your back to hold arrows. It's a gift from Scripture. Psalm 127.3-5 says, "Behold, children are a gift of the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; they will not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gate."

My wife is going to tell me she's pregnant by giving me an arrow. I haven't been given any yet, so the quiver is not being displayed. It was up in my closet being kept safe, but yesterday I saw it and got it out. I even put it on, hanging it across my back. It's empty, so it really wouldn't do me any good in battle, but one day it will hopefully be full. My wife and I pray that God blesses us with many children. We want to have a few of our own, and then adopt many more. Each one will be an arrow, each one will be a weapon for the Kingdom.

My mentor has said that His ceiling is the floor for his children. The next generation picks up where the last one left off. I'm reminded of the responsibility. An arrow is made to kill. It's made to protect and provide. It has the ability to take life, and with that comes great responsibility. Children are a gift. They are lives that look to the parent for everything at first, and then for love, guidance, encouragement, and wisdom forever. Parent's largely shape the future of their children. The patterns parents set will most likely be used in the raising of many future generations. Many lives are affected by two people. There is a great responsibility.

A warrior knows how to handle a weapon. An arrow in the hands of a warrior is an arrow that is well placed and steadily shot to protect what is good. Children are arrows, is the father a warrior? A warrior is made, a warrior trains and practices. A warrior makes each shot count, and fathers must be warriors.

Children are a gift from God. I dedicated my goddaughter a little over two years ago, and one thing I reminded my cousin and her husband at the ceremony is that she is not their daughter, but God's princess that He has lovingly placed in their care (My mentor pointed that one out for me at the time). All Children are God's, He loves them and defends them. He entrusts them to the care of their parents. He gives a life to be cared for and trained, they are a gift.

We aren't planning to start a family just yet, and so I have some time still to prepare for that, and I know there is no way to be fully prepared for it. But I ask God for many arrows, and I pray that I am the warrior who can handle them with skill. Fortunately, I have a great wife to walk with me, and they will be half her which will be a benefit for them.

Father, you have called and made me to be a warrior, as You are. Equip me for battle, as well as all who are and will be parents. Help all to see children as the gift from You that they are. Help parents to take the responsibility seriously and to love and lead them to You.

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment