Thursday, June 7, 2012

Humble Prayer

Last night I was on the phone with one of my brothers. He's going to be speaking on a Sunday Morning in August here and we were talking a little about that, as well as just catching up on life. At the end of every one of our conversations we pray for each other. I honestly forgot about it last night just because I was exhausted from a long day, but fortunately he remembered.

As he prayed for me I was amazed at some of the things he said about me. It was a blessing to hear. But as he prayed I was reminded of a prayer my mentor shared with me years ago.

My mentor is one of the greatest pastors to ever walk the face of the earth. He's loving, faithful, an excellent preacher, and a great father and husband. He sets an example of Godliness, Christlikeness, and being a family man. Whenever I have a situation I know that calling him will give me the answers I need (and most of the time he shares with me the stuff I can't believe I didn't think of).

He's told me a lot over the last few years. Some of it I have written down, other things I have committed to memory. He has a couple phrases, like everyone does, that he uses repeatedly. And one of the characteristics he possesses that I didn't mention before is one that stands out to me the most. Humility.

I think very highly of him, as you can see, and many other people do as well. But one of the things that stands out to me the most is a prayer he shared with me that he often prays.

"God, make me the man that others already see me to be."

As I've listened to people pray for me, part of me wonders where they get some of the stuff they are saying, but then I remember that they aren't in my head. Part of me is amazed at how highly some people think of me. People see me as stronger and more faithful than I am. They see me as more committed and wiser than I am. It's not that I'm doing things secretly that I don't want anyone to know about, it's just that people don't see the discouragement I deal with, the doubt I carry.

There's a song I heard back in high school that really hit me, it's called The Warrior is a Child.


Lately I've been winning battles left and right
But even winners can get wounded in the fight
People say that I'm amazing
Strong beyond my years
But they don't see inside of me
I'm hiding all the tears

They don't know that I go running home when I fall down
They don't know who picks me up when no one is around
I drop my sword and cry for just a while
'Cause deep inside this armor
The warrior is a child

Unafraid because His armor is the best
But even soldiers need a quiet place to rest
People say that I'm amazing
Never face retreat
But they don't see the enemies
That lay me at His feet

They don't know that I go running home when I fall down
They don't know who picks me up when no one is around
I drop my sword and and cry for just a while
'Cause deep inside this armor
the warrior is a child

They don't know that I go running home when I fall down
They don't know who picks me up when no one is around
I drop my sword and look up for a smile
'Cause deep inside this armor
Deep inside this armor
Deep inside this armor
The Warrior is a Child

I've felt that way a lot in the last few years. And it's always encouraging to hear people pray the things they do for me. But at the same time as I listen to people pray for me, part of me is like, "If they only knew..." I'm not perfect, never have claimed to be (Funny thing, my wife used to think I was, she really actually thought I was perfect). People don't see the enemies that lay me out flat on my back. People don't see the times of total brokenness. And so my prayer is often "God, make me the man others already see me to be."

God, make me the man my mentor already sees me to be.
God, make me the man my brothers already see me to be.
God, make me the man my colleges already see me to be.
God, make me the man my professors already see me to be.
God, make me the man my wife already sees me to be.
God, make me the man You created me to be.

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment