Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Bible on Church, Matthew 18

We were at the Jordan River preparing to do a baptism service, I was a baptizer. It was a surreal experience, that I can't put words to. One of my professors led the service and another was baptizing with me. Just before we entered the water, the group sang a chorus, "I have decided to follow Jesus". It's a simple chorus,

I have decided to follow Jesus
I have decided to follow Jesus
I have decided to follow Jesus
No turning back
No turning back

As the second verse began my fellow baptizer turned to me and said, "What a terrible chorus, we're a community." It took me a minute to realize what she was talking about but then the words of the second verse hit me and I got what she was saying,

Though none go with me still I will follow
Though none go with me still I will follow
Though none go with me still I will follow
No turning back
No turning back

The idea of following Jesus alone is one that is foreign to Scripture. Francis Chan said, "As I studied the scriptures I realized that God doesn't want me to do this by myself. That's why He made church the Church." This thing called Christianity is not a one man show. It isn't a solo mission. We are group, a whole army that works together. Back in my Church History class the professor said, "The Church goes to heaven as a group, and takes you with it."

Yes, there will be times when you might be the only one you know who is following Jesus. In countries where Christianity is illegal, and where your family and friends will excommunicate you it is very likely that you might be alone. But again, that is why God created the Church. The Church is to be a family, as we'll see specifically in 1 Timothy 3. Families are there to offer support and encouragement. Families are there to teach and instruct. But families also offer discipline and correction, and the Church is to do that as well.

The last record we have of Jesus using the word Church is found in Matthew 18.15-17, "If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every fact may be confirmed. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector."

We see two things here, first that the Church is to uphold righteousness. Sin must be dealt with, and sin cannot be permitted to roam freely among the Church. In the Church we find accountability. As we learn to live life as a Christ follower we have others, who are farther in the journey, to help us along the way. Sometimes helping involves correction.

Jesus gives us an order for how this process is to be handled. First one on one. If you are aware of the sin of a fellow believer go to them, talk to them about your concerns. Don't tell everyone in the church, don't announce it as a "prayer request" go and talk to them. Share with them about how the action is unlike Christ and unbecoming of His followers. If they listen you have won your brother back. If that doesn't work, take one or two more with you. Take others who are fellow followers, and together talk to the person. And if at this point no change occurs, then the Church must deal with it, and it is at this point if they refuse they must be let go.

Second, we see the importance of relationships in the Church. Correction without a relationship leads to rebellion. If correction isn't given from a basis of love it does nothing but build walls. Relationships give you the right to talk, it's something that must be earned. Get to know the believers around you, learn about them, and then if there is something that needs to be addressed you can come to them as a friend, as someone who really cares. The Church is a family, and it needs to act like one.

Third, we see that no one is forced to join the Church, or be apart of it. As with any organization there are rules or standards that must be kept. If you join a sport you must play by the rules or not participate. There is a lifestyle standard for being part of the Church. If people don't want to live by that standard then we let them go. We love them, we are there for them, but we don't drag them to a service. We don't force them to be there. If they leave we wish them well. Jesus didn't force anyone to follow Him, when people didn't want to follow the truth He presented He let them go.

The Church is God's Church, and as such we must live by His standards of holiness and righteousness. We must help each other to live as Jesus demonstrated. When sin is present we deal with it from the friendship relationship that has been built. And when people refuse to live by the standard we let them go, not in anger or hostility, but in love so that sin is not given a foothold in the Church.

"I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment