Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Bible on Church, Acts 14b

"When they had arrived and gathered the church together, they began to report all things that God had done with them and how He had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles." Acts 14.27

The Church is a place where we not only learn about God, but we tell others of what He is doing. Back in the day I remember a large part of Sunday night church was given to testimonies. I remember one service was nothing but testimonies. But as I grew up and was at different churches I began to notice two things, one that testimonies started to be few and far between, and two that when I did hear a testimony I had usually heard it countless times before.

I know that the larger a church gets the harder it is to do things spontaneously, or without screening. In a church of 2,500 people with several services time is an issue. But also, you never know what someone might get up and say. Something meant to focus people on God as they prepare to enter worship could turn into a very big problem if someone takes the opportunity of an open mic and starts bashing people.

Then there is the person in a small church that still has testimonies every Sunday. This person has been a faithful attendant for the last 50 years, and never misses an opportunity to thank God for saving them at a VBS back in 1967. Every week it's the same testimony. Never anything new, its as if God stopped working in their life that day back in 1967. I'm not trying to minimize the fact of salvation, but are you telling me that in the last 50 years that's the only thing you want to testify that God has done? What does that say about God? What does that say about you?

When I was pastoring a small church I felt the leading of the Spirit to start the testimony part back up. It was the first thing that took place Sunday morning to help focus us on God as we began the service. And I instituted a rule, it had to be from the last 7 days. I wanted people to be looking for God now, to see what He was doing in their lives and in the world today. It had mixed results, but overall I think it worked well.

If anyone is reading this wondering how to do it in a large church setting my suggestion is to have an email system. Have the people be able to send in a testimony/praise report each week, and then have a powerpoint (or whatever is being used now)at the beginning of the service that moves through them as people are entering.

It is crucial that we report on all of the good things that God is doing. Hearing about how He provided for financial needs, how He brought healing to sickness, or how He spoke through difficult situations, is a big part of how we encourage each other in the Church and the world.

My mentor once said, "In Christianity we do a lot of reminding people of what they already know." I'll be the first one to testify to that. The last year of my life has been difficult and full of change. And in that time many well wishing people have constantly hit me with different promises of Scripture. Honestly, most of the it was the last thing I wanted to hear. (If you are one of those people who did that, please do not be offended or upset. I greatly appreciate your encouragement and support). But when I hear things like that my mind often goes to James 2.15-16, "If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, 'Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,' and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that?"

Many times I feel like a lot of it is just words that Christians throw out there. But hearing a story of someone who has been in a similar situation, hearing about there faithfulness, and about God's provision in their life, that is what really encourages me. This is why testimonies are so crucial, they tell the true story of how God is still at work in the lives of His people.

(Again, I do not intend for any of the previous statements to be offensive. I am not trying to downplay the sincerity or concern that is behind the reminder of God's promises, or the encouragement and hope they are intended to give. Please do not read it that way. If that is what God has laid on your heart to share, continue to do it.)

With all of that being said, I need to share the most recent workings of God in my life. Since August I have been unemployed, not having any success in finding a job of any kind. My wife and I have actually had to move in with my parent's to avoid being homeless. Every door that I have knocked on has been shut in my face. The financial issues have been really frustrating, as has not being able to be on our own and support my wife.

Thursday we got a piece of mail from a hospital down where we used to live. It was a bill for over $700 from a visit my wife had back in September. Back in September it would have been a struggle to pay, but it was honestly impossible for us to pay it now. I wasn't worried, worst case my parent's would loan us the money to pay it, but it was just an added frustration that we didn't need right now. Hearing your wife cry and knowing there is nothing you can do to fix it is one of the worst things I've ever experienced.

She called the hospital and left a message, asking if there was anything they would be able to do. The next morning they called back. I wasn't present for the conversation, but at the end my wife was crying again, but they were good tears. She said that the hospital was going to take care of the entire bill. We have the invoice, and we're keeping it forever, because we crossed of the amount owed and wrote "God" on it.

He also did two other things yesterday, but at the moment I can't share either of them. Yesterday was a three miracle day. God is still at work. He didn't stop when the last page of Revelation was written. He didn't stop at the end of a VBS in 1967. God is still at work today. What has He done in your life?

"I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment