Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Bible on Church, Acts 15

"Therefore, being sent on their way by the church, they were passing through both Phoenicia and Samaria, describing in detail the conversion of the Gentiles, and were bringing great joy to all the brethren. When they arrived at Jerusalem, they were received by the church and the apostles and the elders, and they reported all that God had done with them." Acts 15.3-4

I thought about these verses all day yesterday, and honestly I was about to skip over them. Something had hit me when I first read them, and then I couldn't remember. But fortunately when I grabbed my computer today the insight returned, and I didn't pass over this instruction about Church. For this I am probably (more than likely) putting a twenty-first century spin on this, but I don't think the concept I'm about to share is too far from what these verses talk about.

The big words that hit me are "sent" and "received". One Church sends people, and another Church receives them. Here in this context they are sharing the work that God is doing in the Gentile world with the Jews. They are sharing what God is doing. They are being sent by one Church to proclaim what God is doing to another Church. I've seen this today, most often it happens when missionaries are trying to raise support to continue their mission. It's important that we do this because it gets us thinking about the world, and the Church beyond our personal sanctuary.

But I want to take this a step farther, giving it a little more practical application for today. What if the Church would send and receive people today? What if larger churches were to help small churches? Having pastored a small church I know full well the struggles and hardships that are there. No money, no volunteers, and no life. It's like fighting an uphill battle while dragging a boulder behind you. But what if the little church didn't have to do this on their own? What if a bigger church came along side of them, and cut the boulder off?

If I ever have the opportunity to pastor a larger church I want to do something about this. I want to do something to help. I know how impossible these situations are. I know the discouragement and defeat that these pastors feel daily. I know the hits they take, and how alone they can feel. And I don't want to see a young pastor, full of passion and potential, be eaten by a church.

If I ever pastor a church that has resources I want to use them to build the Church. I want to come along side the pastor of the church who needs a hand and offer it. If they need musicians, I'll try to help with that. If they need help with an event, I'll try to help them with that. Sending people who are gifted in the areas they need, to serve and build the Kingdom. This is an opportunity to work across denominational lines. We don't even need to bring doctrine into question for this. Simply focus on the core truths that Jesus is the way, and that all is done so that God may be glorified.

I hear the questions already, "What if these people who are sent leave my church for that one?" Does it really matter? Why do we act like it's a competition? Honestly, I hate the numbers game the Church loves to play. We've made it too much about the numbers, and we have to get away from that. Paul said, "Now I want you to know, brethren, that my circumstances have turned out for the greater progress of the gospel, so that my imprisonment in the cause of Christ has become well known throughout the whole praetorian guard and to everyone else, and that most of the brethren, trusting in the Lord because of my imprisonment, have far more courage to speak the word of God without fear. Some, to be sure, are preaching Christ even from envy and strife, but some also from good will; the latter do it out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel; the former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition rather than from pure motives, thinking to cause me distress in my imprisonment. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice." (Philippians 1.12-18).

Paul was solely focused on God being glorified and the Kingdom being built. He didn't care who did it or why, so long as Christ was proclaimed and people grew into Christlikeness. We have to have this attitude. We must rejoice when God does something great in a church, even if it isn't the one that we are at. It's all God's Church anyway, so who cares what happens so long as it is proclaiming the truth and growing. God can do whatever He wants, wherever He wants. It is our job to praise Him and give Him our best. It is our job to use the gifts He has given us for works in His service.

The Church needs to send and receive so that we can give more glory to God. It's His Church, not ours.

"I have been young and now I am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his descendants begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

1 comment:

  1. love this post Bill! so right on target with what we are trying to do with a teen/young adult ministry. Grace church has volunteered some of their people to help us get started (and of course we have some resistance). But we will work through it and God will get all the glory! I am so proud of you..stay strong. we are praying for you! Joan

    ReplyDelete