Monday, February 4, 2013

One Day

That's the title of track 3 on Mark Schultz's most recent album. I actually can't find the lyrics online which is a shock, and the CD is out in my car which is covered in snow so at the moment I'm not going to get it. My wife and I have been listening to it since it's the only CD in the car, but honestly I haven't been paying attention to most of it. I love Mark Schultz but this is one of my least favorite of his albums, except for track 3.

Several hours have passed since I wrote that first paragraph. I learned how to make apple sauce from my grandmother, walked Rosie with my wife, and since I have driven got the CD case out of my car. As I said track 3 is the only one I've really paid any attention to, and even then it's only really one phrase that has stood out to me.

The lame will walk
The blind will see
The prisoners will be set free
And hope will rise as shadows disappear
And all that's lost
We'll find again
Death will die and tears will end
And we will come alive and truly live

Incredible lyrics, but the phrase that caught my attention is "Death will die". It sends chills through my body when I hear it. One day death will die and be no more. The thing that all men face, that respects no one, will finally meet itself and end. One day death will die.

That promise has led to some of the most rewarding moments of ministry for me. Sitting at the hospital holding a wife's hand as she's told her husband of 62 years might not make it through the night. Talking with a man dying of Lou Gehrig's disease and sharing with him the promises made to the faithful. Those are the moments when people really need you as a pastor. Those are the times when you do your greatest ministry. You are with people as they prepare to meet God.

My first funeral was easy because I knew the faith of the man. I knew that as I was giving his eulogy he was kneeling at the feet of Christ. His arms and legs had the mobility back that Lou Gehrig's disease had robbed for his final months on earth. He had died, but death was not victorious.

All men faith death, it's part of life, but death is not infinite. One day death too will die, and be no more. And this is the message that Christ has given us to share. Through Christ death has been defeated, and in Him eternal life is possible. Death will die, and those in Christ will live forever in His presence.

"I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment