Thursday, August 9, 2012

I See Christ

For several months now there has been a couple in the church I've spent a decent amount of time with. Their names are Ron and Sue. Sue is a gifted pianist and Ron has a sharp open mind and loves to talk to people about Jesus. Both of them are cancer survivors, and they have been one of the biggest blessings for my wife and I over the last year.

Every time I'm around them, I leave feeling better than when I sat down to talk with them. They are two of the most loving and positive people you'll ever meet, and you can't help but be encouraged by them. They have been a couple I didn't fully appreciate until recently, but honestly I could not be more grateful for them.

I've spent a lot of time with them because Ron is currently battling cancer again. He went through the first round of Chemo and aside from losing his hair, you wouldn't have known. His spirits were high, and every time I was around him, he continued to be a blessing and encouragement to me. He told me that he sees his cancer as an opportunity. While in the hospital he gets to talk with doctors and nurses all day about Christ. I've never met anyone like him before.

When the initial plans were made for Chemo therapy the plan was to do six treatments then have a few weeks break before beginning the second round. But as the first round drew to a close the doctors decided to go right into round two with no break. And through all of it Ron hasn't changed.

He's still the same blessing that he has always been. He told me earlier this week that every morning he wakes up and thanks God for another day. He prays every morning that God will bring someone across his path each day to share Christ with. I wish more people were like Ron. I wish I was more like Ron.

And I say that because when I look at Ron I don't see Ron. Instead when I look at him, I see Christ. I see a man that has been transformed by God into the image of His Son. I see a man who cares more for others than for himself. I see a man who sees each day as the blessing it is. I see a man who sees his own suffering as an opportunity to minister to the suffering of others. I see Christ when I look at Ron.

I pray that some day people say that about me. I pray that no matter what hardships I go through I can focus more on others needs than on my own. That instead of wasting time complaining I see the opportunity to reach out to others and share the love of Christ. When people look at me I want them to see Christ, not Bill.

I love my friend Ron. I love his life and his attitude. I love the example he has displayed and that I've had the opportunity to witness. His life is lived solely for God. I pray mine is the same. I pray that people see Christ in me.

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment