Friday, August 31, 2012

eBay

This post might not be in line with the previous posts on this blog, but I have to share some of the crazy stuff I've discovered in the last twelve hours or so. Once it's written out I'll see what to do with it from there.

I've done some bidding on ebay in the past, not much recently, but it came in really handy in college when I was trying to get text books for my gen-ed classes. I've had a couple other really good finds, like the Perfect Push-up, when it was first out I bought them on ebay for $0.99, not bad for something that got me in great shape.

Over the years there have a been a couple of things I've really wanted, a few I've bought, a few are possible thoughts for the future, and some have been totally scrapped. But usually the first place I look is ebay. Such was the case with the Bowie knife (aka. future daughter's boyfriend deterrent), or the Camelbak backpack I bought for camping. I got great deals on stuff that will come in handy in my life.

However, ebay also has it's down side, you can get great deals on stuff you don't need and end up wasting money. Such is the case with the Jedi outfit I bought during college (Yes I used to be a bit of a nerd). I had two or three great Halloweens with it, and bits of it have been useful for some sermons, but overall, I wish I would have saved the money. (If anyone is interested in, or has use for, a full Jedi outfit, boots/belt/robe/pants/tunic, let me know).

One of those things I used to want, but never purchased, and at this point in my life won't because I've grown up and realized I don't need it, is a bull whip like Indiana Jones'. Occasionally I get on ebay and look just to see what's out there. And yesterday I found something that blew my mind.

There is a post on ebay for a bull whip that Harrison Ford used as Indiana Jones in the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark. It comes with the proper certification so you know you're getting the real item, and if you've got an extra $47,500 laying around why not make a small investment.

I was curious to see what I could find on eBay that would cost more than that. One guy is selling his entire video game and video game console collection and asking $100,000 for it. Each item is listed, and there are more games than I knew existed. But that price tag is just scratching the surface of the stuff you can find for sale on eBay.

I began to type in words that I thought would yield high price items. I typed in "Presidents", and wasn't disappointed. I found books from John Adam's personal library that are signed by him. There are things bearing signatures from several American presidents, but most of them don't come close to Harrison Ford's whip. However, one item under this category greatly exceeded the iconic movie item, and at the moment was the most expensive item I'd found. There is a Short Snorter, (not totally clear on what it is), but it belonged to FDR in the early '40s and contains the signatures of several world leaders at the time. The description mentions that it would have been present at the Cairo Conference and then to The Big Three Conference in Tehran with Churchill and Stalin, which planned the Normandy Invasion. The asking price, $1,000,000.

But it doesn't stop there. I did a few more searches just to see if that could be beaten, and it was. I typed in "Stamps", and found the largest price tag I've ever seen. There is a bank note from India issued by King George V for 1,000 Rupees. According to the post it is the only known one in the world. It's rare, and the asking price is $20,000,000.

eBay is a place for people to buy and sell their treasures. It's a place to find rare collectibles, important pieces of history, one of a kind items, as well as junk you don't need and will regret buying in the future. And as I type that last line my mind goes back to my time working with my cousin.

Cleaning out foreclosed homes really opens your eyes to how much junk we have in America. In some cases the houses were pretty cleaned out. People had had time and somewhere to take their possessions, others didn't. You see the stuff that people wanted at one point, but didn't value enough to take, or didn't have anywhere to take it. So it was left to me, and the few guys I worked with, to throw it out. It's now sitting in a land fill. Some of it was in good condition, but we were on a time frame and had to get the house empty and cleaned. If someone wants to really help people, find contractors that do stuff like that and volunteer to take any clothes they find, sort them, wash them, and donate them to shelters (that was my cousins idea).

I guess the point of all of this is where are you investing your money? The Bible says that in Heaven the streets are paved with gold. My mentor shared this thought with me when I was preparing for my first funeral. We pave our streets with something common and valueless. No one hordes asphalt or concrete, it is so common place that it is worthless. But gold is something that armies have marched for and civilizations have been destroyed over. The quest for gold led to the discovery of America. It's rare and therefore has value here on earth.

But it says that in Heaven the streets are paved with gold. The thing that is most valuable here and now, exists in abundance there and forever. It is so abundant that it is utterly worthless, and the streets that the righteous will walk for eternity are paved with it. The thing that we strive for most in this life has no value in the life to come.

At the end of our time here on earth, our stuff will be just like the foreclosed homes I spent so much time in. Others will sort through it, see the stuff that we valued, but couldn't take with us. So what are we investing in? Momentary treasures or things with eternal value? Stuff to bring comfort, or lives that make a difference?

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment