Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Where Will You Stand?

Right now I'm doing a personal study of the book of Psalms. Unlike last month where I blogged on every chapter of Proverbs, I am not undertaking the task of writing a blog on each of the 150 Psalms, at least not right now. During July there were some days where I definitely wrote because I had to, and not necessarily out of inspiration from what I was reading. Because of this I know that some posts were not my best work. And so for the rest of the year my focus is going to be on the things that stand out to me and inspire me, which was why I started this blog almost four years ago. Some chapters will have a few posts over a several days, others won't get any attention.

My reason for this study is a search for Fathering by God. On my other blog I am working through The Way of the Wild Heart by John Eldredge, and he presents the material as a map for the masculine journey. In chapter four he talks about finding healing/Fathering in Scripture, and one of the Biblical examples he points out of a man of God is David. And so for the past week I've really been feeling God leading me to really dive into this section of Scripture more than I ever have before. And so over the next few months you are invited to join me on this journey.

Psalm 1 is where I begin; this will be the first of three posts from this chapter. I couldn't tell you how many times I've read this chapter, but I think it may be one of the Psalms that I've read the most. And even though that is the case, something new has hit me this time around. Verse 1 says, "How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand in the path of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers!" As I kept reading something hit me in verse 5, "Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous." Do you see the similarities?

In these two verses we see our options. Righteousness and wickedness, and the question is where will you stand? Will you stand with the wicked and the sinners, or with the righteous when judgment is passed? Do you stand in the path of sinners or in the assembly of the righteous? Really these are the only two options we are presented with, the only real choice we have.

The man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked does not run the risk of standing in the path of sinners, and ultimately sitting in the seat of scoffers. If he keeps his way pure and upright he is blessed because he will be able to stand at the judgment, and dwell among the righteous when they are gathered together before God.

We will all stand somewhere, where will you stand?

"I have been young and now I am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his descendants begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment