Saturday, August 3, 2013

Glorify the Lord

Proverbs 3.5-8, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your body and refreshment to your bones."

Philippians 4.6-7, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Two verses I've been reading a lot recently. The command to trust and the results from trusting. Then we have instructions on how to trust and more of the results. But perhaps the greatest proof of our trust in God is found in the third verse on my list.

Ephesians 3.20-21, "Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen."

I've been reading this one a lot this year, trying to remind myself of the great things God is able to do in my life. Things that are greater and far beyond my wildest imagining. It shouldn't come as a surprise that God can do more than we think, after all we are finite and He is infinite. We are temporary, He is eternal. And yes, God should be glorified for the things that He has done and will do. But today as I thought about this section something really hit me, I am to glorify God for the things He is able to do, that is what this is saying.

"Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think," God is limitless in His power and potential. The only limit is the faith and the trust we put in Him, because it limits what we are able to receive from Him. But if we dream big, if we pray big, if we hope and trust big, then God is able to do bigger and beyond, because we are willing to trust Him as He leads into the unknown. We must realize that everything, even the things beyond our expectations, is simply a glimpse of all that God can do.

"According to the power that works within us," God is at work in us. Philippians 1.6 says, "For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus." God is at work in us to mold us into the image of Christ. The deeper we go, the more trust is required, but I think in some ways it becomes easier to trust. The more we see God come through, the more confidence we have in Him to come through again. The more we trust and rely upon Him, the more like Christ we become. God is at work in us to do abundantly beyond all that we ask or think.

"To Him be the glory in the church in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." And so to God alone be the glory simply for who He is. Let God be glorified simply because of all that He can do, whether He chooses to act or not.

As I wrote that last line my mind went to Daniel 3. Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego are sentenced to be thrown into the furnace for refusing to bow before the image Nebuchadnezzar set up. When given a final chance to bow and save their lives they respond, "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the furnace of blazing fire; and He will deliver us out of your hand, O king. 18 But even if He does not, let it be known to you, O king, that we are not going to serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up" (Daniel 3.17-18). They know that God can save them, and they glorify Him for that. But even if He chooses not to act on their behalf, they still praise Him.

Right now my wife and I are in a situation where if God doesn't come through for us, I don't know what's going to happen. I know that God is able to do everything for us and work everything out, and for the last few days I have been crying out to Him in deep desperation. I know God can do far more than I am asking, and if He does I will praise Him. But what if He doesn't, will I have the same response?

It's human nature to be bitter and feel sorry for ourselves when things don't work out. But I am called to be like Christ. I don't want to be resentful if things don't work out the way I am hoping they will. I want to give God the glory that He alone is worthy of no matter the outcome.

"I have been young and now I am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his descendants begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment