Thursday, July 5, 2012

...Not of Judgment

As I've thought about my post yesterday I feel like I need to talk a little bit more about it. I realized it could be taken as we ignore sin, we welcome everyone regardless of choices and lifestyle. Talking simply about salvation could possibly come across as ignoring sin completely, in a sense making it ok to sin because grace is readily and freely available. But that is not the point.

Paul said in Romans 6.1-2, "What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?" Salvation doesn't mean that we ignore sin, but that we deal with it. Not passing judgment doesn't mean we say a sinful lifestyle is ok, but that we show that grace and forgiveness are possible and available rather than condemning.

We must not excuse sin, we must call it what it is. But rather then going on the offensive and attacking with condemnation, let us instead defend the truth with love. Paul also said in 1 Timothy 3.14-15, "I am writing these things to you, hoping to come to you before long; but in case I am delayed, I write so that you will know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth."

I've said before that when the Church goes on the attack we end up with the Crusades. When we are quick to judge and condemn sin, and those living in it, we kill any hope of them ever coming to Jesus. But when we stand firmly in defense of the truth, a pillar that displays it and a support that upholds it, we are able to present the truth in love.

Truth is a beautiful thing in which there is freedom. But when truth is given with judgment and condemnation it heaps on guilt and shame causing people to flee from it. When the Church hands out judgment, it drives people away from the one source of hope that is available. That is why Jesus said over and over, "I do not judge, I do not condemn. I am here to save."

Jesus said, "I came to save" but He didn't ignore sin. He called it what it was, and while offering forgiveness He warned about the coming judgment. If people listened to and believed what He said, He forgave them, and welcomed them into His fellowship. And if people refused to listen, if they rejected the truth He spoke, He let them go. He didn't force them to believe, and He didn't judge them for their unbelief. He presented His offer, and told them that the time to accept it is short.

John 3.16-17 says, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."

The verses I shared yesterday, John 12.47-48, "If anyone hears My sayings and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day."

Judgment is coming, but not yet. And so the Church must not judge and condemn, but love and through love address sin as sin and invite all to experience the forgiveness that is found in the salvation that is ours through the love of Christ. Let us love, and in love share the truth that now is the hour of salvation. Let us proclaim the truth that Jesus came to save and salvation is available for all. Let us leave judgment up to the only one who is worthy to judge.

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment