Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Baptism, What's the Point?

Sunday was a big day, I performed my first baptism. As with the first time I've performed a ritual like this (wedding, funeral, baby dedication), I consulted with my mentor before the service. We sat at Chipotle and he gave me something to start with.

Baptism is like a wedding ring. A wedding ring doesn't make you married. Before I was married if I had put a ring on my left hand it wouldn't have made me married. Now if I take my ring off it doesn't make me single again. The wedding ring isn't the thing that binds me to my wife, it is simply a symbol of the covenant I've entered into with her.

Baptism is not a means of Salvation. Being baptized does not cleanse one of sin and secure a place in Heaven. But baptism is an outward profession of an inward commitment to Jesus Christ. Baptism is a symbol declaring that you are taken, and that you belong to Jesus.

Before you receive a wedding ring, you go through a wedding. And before you get baptized you receive salvation by entering into a relationship with Jesus Christ. Once you are married you wear a ring, the symbol that announces to the world, "I'm married." It is a sign of accountability, and a reminder of the vows I made to my wife. "For better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health, 'til death do us part." In the same way after you receive salvation and enter into a relationship with Jesus, there is need for public declaration. And we do this through water baptism.

But just as my marriage was simply beginning as I received my wedding ring from my wife, baptism is a symbol of beginning. The Bible says that we are to repent and be baptized (Acts 2). It seems that baptism has become optional in the present day. In the first century you would come to salvation and then be baptized very soon. The Church in the early centuries had a series of classes that people would go through before baptism, to educate them on what they were doing, but it was not an optional thing.

We are commanded in scripture to be baptized. In His final commission Jesus commanded his followers to make disciples of all the nations, "baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you;". Baptism is not to be an option, but a command to be followed. And baptism marks the beginning.

Following baptism, we are to teach them to observe all that Jesus commanded. We, who are farther along in the journey, are to help the new comers to grow closer to Jesus as they strive to become like Him. A marriage begins with a wedding, and the rings exchanged are a symbol of the couples life long commitment. Baptism, an outward sign, marks the beginning of a relationship with Jesus Christ that is to continue until death; at which point the faithful are welcomed into the presence of God, entering a perfect relationship with Him.

That's the point.

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment