Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Forgotten God

I have recently finished Crazy Love by Francis Chan, and I have been challenged by it in so many ways. And at the same time it's been a huge blessing. Reading the someone else thinks the same way about things that I do has been a huge faith builder, and encouragement to keep going. It's been an affirmation that the stuff I'm thinking, and reading in the Bible, the way I'm understanding it, is what God is trying to show me.

At the end of the book Francis says something that really made me think in a new way.

"What really keeps me going is the gift and power we have been given in the Holy Spirit. Before Christ left this earth, He told His disciples, 'I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment... When he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth.' -John 16.7-8, 13

The disciples must have been shocked by the idea that it was for their good that Jesus was leaving. What could possibly be better than having Jesus by your side? Wouldn't you rather have Jesus physically walking next to you all day than have the seemingly elusive Holy Spirit living in you?

Our view of the Holy Spirit is too small. The Holy Spirit is the One who changes the church, but we have to remember that the Holy Spirit lives in us. It is individual people living Spirit-filled lives that will change the church." (Chapter 10, The Crux of the Matter, p. 171)

How much do we neglect the Holy Spirit? Our focus is predominately on Jesus, and then the rest is focused on God the Father. As I read those words in Crazy Love it hit me that so much of my preaching, teaching and prayer is focused on Jesus and God the Father with complete neglect for the third member of the Trinity. God exists in three parts, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Each member is fully God, I realize it's a difficult concept to grasp, and even more difficult to try and explain. Christian apologist Ravi Zacharias, has one of the best explanations of the Trinity I've heard,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kreSbagj_RM

God exists in three parts, but is united as one God. In the Old Testament we see predominately God the Father. In the Gospels we have Jesus the Son. In Acts we see the coming of the Holy Spirit, who remains to this day. Why do we neglect Him? We pray to the Father, but only through the power of the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 6.18a, "With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit,". We are called to be holy as God is holy (Leviticus 20.7). Jesus came to show us how to live life. God's desire is for us to become like Christ (Romans 8.29) Jesus commanded us to go and make disciples of all the nations (Matthew 28.19-20). But this is only accomplished through the Holy Spirit. Acts 1.8, "but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you;and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."

The Holy Spirit is the one who helps us become holy, He empowers us to live above the power of sin and for the glory of God. The Holy Spirit guides us into Christlikeness, and empowers us to be witnesses to make disciples. The Holy Spirit empowers us to pray to God. The Holy Spirit lives in us, guides us, empowers us, encourages and helps us as we live life as servants of God. Yet so often we refuse to acknowledge Him, and instead focus solely on Jesus and God the Father. He really is the Forgotten God.

I talked with a pastor friend a few weeks ago about reading Crazy Love, and he said I should read all three of Francis Chan's books in a row. Crazy Love has been on my to read list for a while now, but the only reason I picked it up is because my wife had a copy of it. I have a pile of books waiting to be read, and I made a rule for myself that I can't buy any new books until I've read the ones I have. I've broken that rule a few times, and just bought the other two books by Francis. I'm preparing to start Forgotten God today. The subtitle is, "Reversing our tragic neglect of the Holy Spirit."

As I quoted at the beginning, "Our view of the Holy Spirit is too small. The Holy Spirit is the One who changes the church, but we have to remember that the Holy Spirit lives in us. It is individual people living Spirit-filled lives that will change the church." The Holy Spirit is the one who will work through us and transform the Church to what God has called it to be. But He works through the lives of the people of God.

God, forgive me, and all of us, for neglecting Your Holy Spirit. May we acknowledge Him as God, and live in the power He seeks to give us as we live for your glory.

To God alone be the glory!

Peace be with you

2 comments:

  1. What is the 3rd book? I had no idea you blogged! I am now a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's called Erasing Hell, one of the Responses to Rob Bell's Love Wins

    ReplyDelete