Monday, December 12, 2011

Two Men

As I've talked about the weapons of the enemy we've seen two Biblical examples of their usage. One in the beginning with the first humans, and they failed. With that failure came sin and death. But the second man came to make all things right. He came to pick up the battle where it left off and win the war. He faced the same weapons, and the same enemy, but He was victorious.

Romans 5 says, "Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned— for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come. But the free gift is not like the transgression. For if by the transgression of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many. The gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned; for on the one hand the judgment arose from one transgression resulting in condemnation, but on the other hand the free gift arose from many transgressions resulting in justification. For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ. So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men. For as through the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous. The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Verses 12-21).

Jesus came and faced the same test as Adam and Eve. He faced the same weapons, but He was victorious. As in any fight there are hits that we take. Adam and Eve took them, were knocked down, and defeated. Jesus took the hits as well. His were worse because of Adam's loss. His involved a beating, a crucifixion, and a tomb. But Jesus got back up.

I think of a line for the movie Rocky Balboa, "But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you!"

I think of the line from the movie Robin Hood , "Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions."

Two men faced the same weapons wielded by the same deadly enemy. One man fell and didn't get back up, and because of that defeat the world is in the state that it is. Another man came to fight the same battle. It looked like He had been defeated, but what appeared to be a loss was really the ultimate victory. And it's a victory that He offers to us.

Jesus has showed us how to fight the battle against Satan; and it's a battle He has already won. He invites us to share that victory. The whole reason He came to earth was to win this victory, the prize is ultimate glory, and the redemption of the universe. And Jesus calls us to share in the victory, the redemption, and the glory.

We face the same enemy and the same weapons that Jesus faced. We will be knocked down, but we don't have to be defeated. There is a song by Chris Tomlin that I've written about before. It tells us that Jesus has overcome, that through His victory we have peace, and that in Him we can take the hits, rise and move forward victorious.

There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul
I can say "It is well"

Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead

And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise

There's a day that's drawing near
When this darkness breaks to light
And the shadows disappear
And my faith shall be my eyes

Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead

And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise

And I hear the voice of many angels sing,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
And I hear the cry of every longing heart,
"Worthy is the Lamb"

And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise

"Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions." The Lamb of God was humbly slain, the Lion of Judah rose in power. He calls us to rise with Him.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment