Monday, December 26, 2011

The Proverbs 31...Man?

For Christmas I bought my wife a new Bible. She told me after opening it and looking through it that she always wanted one like it. It's a woman's devotional Bible. It has information about each book at the beginning, the main verses pulled out in each section, thought starters, reading plans, and the cover was blue and green.

I also bought her a highlighter that is specially designed for Bible pages in that it won't bleed through. And so after she had confirmed that she loved it I highlighted a passage for her, Proverbs 31.10-31. The heading in the NASB is "A Description of a Worthy Woman" while the NIV has it "The Wife of Noble Character". I read through it, and I see my wife. The characteristics of the unnamed woman are the same that I see in my wife; confident, sure, hardworking, respected, and in love with God. The woman is the focus of the chapter, many women desire that those same characteristics be said of them. But she is not the only one listed in these verses.

In order for a woman to be a wife, there has to be a husband. And in Proverbs 31.10-31, that man is seen. I believe that if a woman is going to be the wife described at the end of Proverbs, she must have the husband who is also described here.

The Bible has a lot to say to men, I've thought about starting another blog focused simply on that subject. For now we'll start here, and for the next few days we'll examine the man of Proverbs 31.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment