Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving and the Following days

There is a lot on my mind, this is going to be one of those blogs with a bunch of random thoughts.

My favorite day of the year is Thanksgiving. I love the time with my cousins. Its the one day of the year my paternal grandmother wants her whole family together. My grandma has been an incredible pillar of our family. She is the reason my cousins and I are so close. She's poured time into us. Many of my favorite childhood memories are around her kitchen table, in her backyard, basement, and living room, and all of them take place with the cousins that she made me be friends with. Because of my grandma, we enjoy time together, and soak up every moment we have.

But this year I began to notice a change. Time has passed and we're grown up. Four of us are now married, two have children. One won't come to anything due to family issues. Our conversations have changed from hopes and dreams of the future, to grown up conversations. Instead of playing games and building forts, we fall asleep on the floor watching football. We've changed, we've grown up, and I'm finding myself wanting to move in different directions.

I love my family, especially my cousins. But my wife and I have our own life now, and as we go down this road together it takes me in some ways, away from the traditions of the past. And I'm excited for the future with her. We've talked about traditions we want, about how we'd love to spend holidays in the future with our kids and friends; and I can't wait for them to happen. Time passes, and things change.

I think of Black Friday. A few times I've gone out, simply to get a good deal on what I got my sister for Christmas, or so my mom wouldn't have to go out to get something for my little brother at 4 am. But over the past few years I've grown to hate Black Friday. And this year I asked a question, What does God think of Black Friday?

I've been kicking it around in my mind for the last few days, and I don't know that I have an answer. Many people go out as I have in the past, to get good deals on gifts for others. But over the last year my view of stuff has changed. A year ago I was cleaning out foreclosed homes with my cousin and her husband. You see the stuff that people treasured in life, but had no where to take it when they lost the house. You see the stuff that had mattered, but not enough to keep when they had to leave, it's the stuff that didn't matter as much as the other stuff.

I don't want a bunch of stuff. As I get older I look at things I used to collect, things I used to think were really cool, or that I'd used forever. My in laws brought everything my wife owned to our house a few months ago. My parents have some boxes of my old stuff in their basement. Honestly part of me just wants to throw it all out. If I don't know what's in there, if I haven't needed it for the past seven years, then there is no way I'll miss it if I get rid of it now. I had looked through some of it before I moved because there was something I needed, and I found stuff I had forgotten I had. My wife and I are now looking at things we have and realizing we don't need it, that we don't want all of this stuff just sitting around.

Today I was reading in Genesis 26, and I saw this, "Now Isaac sowed in that land and reaped in the same year a hundredfold. And the LORD blessed him, and the man became rich, and continued to grow richer until he became very wealthy; for he had possessions of flocks and herds and a great household, so that the Philistines envied him" (vs 12-14). God made Isaac rich; He blessed him and gave him abundantly more than he ever could have needed. God does stuff like that. His blessings are so great that He gives us far more than we ever could need. God is rich, and He loves to bless those who are faithful to Him.

If God provides wealth, then it can't be a bad thing. Wealth and possessions in themselves aren't bad. The love of wealth is what is bad, as it says in 1 Timothy 6. The drive for more wealth, the focus on wealth instead of the giver of it; that is what is evil. And just because someone voluntarily lives in poverty it doesn't mean that they are righteous. Paul says in Philippians 4.19, "And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." God says in Malachi 3.10, "'Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this,' says the LORD of hosts, 'if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.'" And as it says in Genesis 26, God blessed Isaac and made him rich.

We are blessed by God to bless others. God has given us wealth, let's be generous with it. If you don't think you're rich, watch the Nooma Video by Rob Bell titled, Rich. Let's look for ways to serve. This Christmas my wife and I are giving away stuffed animals. In college a buddy and I gave away roses to people in a nursing home on Valentines day. The church I am currently serving is going to be looking at child sponsorship. There are so many ways that we can bless others, God has blessed us so that we can be a blessing.

The random thoughts that I've just shared are the things that have been on my heart and in my head for the last few days. I guess these are the things that I've been convicted about, and the questions that I don't have the answers to.

My simple request of all who read this is that we would be a blessing to others. There is a song by a group called Nickelback, it's their only song I've ever heard, and they aren't a group I listen to, but the chorus this one song I think gets the idea.

If everyone cared and nobody cried
If everyone loved and nobody lied
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride
Then we'd see the day when nobody died

What if everyone cared? What if everyone loved? What if everyone shared? What if all of us were a blessing?

There is one other song by Brandon Heath, and the chorus says this,

Give me Your eyes for just one second
Give me Your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me Your love for humanity
Give me Your arms for the broken-hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me Your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me Your eyes so I can see

Ask God to open your eyes to see through His. See how you have been blessed, and be a blessing to others.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment