Monday, November 21, 2011

Blessed to be a Blessing

Last night I had a rare opportunity as a Protestant minister to speak at a Catholic church for a community Thanksgiving service. Here I want to share some of the thoughts I gave last night.

As 2011 ends and we prepare to enter 2012 we, in America, must brace ourselves for the barrage of political campaigning that will take place. As in every American campaign there will be a phrase that we hear a lot because it has become politically correct to say, "God bless America." As I look around I can honestly say that God has blessed America. We enjoy many freedoms that other nations don't, as well as one of the highest standards of living anywhere in the world. God has blessed America. The question we need to ask is not how can God bless us more, but how can we be a blessing to others.

In the Bible when God blessed someone the intention was that they in turn would be a blessing to others. Genesis 12.1-3, "Now the LORD said to Abram, 'Go forth from your country, and from your relatives and from your father’s house, to the land which I will show you; and I will make you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great; and so you shall be a blessing; and I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed.” I will bless you and you shall be a blessing. In you all the families of the earth will be blessed. That is how God works, through people.

We are blessed to be a blessing. The problem is that humans are selfish by nature. Some of our first words are "No!" and "Mine!" It is our tendency to take things that we are given and hoard them for ourselves, that's human nature. But Christian nature is selfless. It is the nature of a Christ follower to be generous and to bless others.

The secret to generosity is contentment. If we learn to be content, we will have no problem with giving things away. Paul tells us the secret of contentment in Philippians 4.11-13, "Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

The word Paul uses for contentment is autarkeia and the Greco-Roman audience he wrote to would have understood that word as being entirely self-sufficient. There was a philosophy known as Stoicism, and self-sufficiency was their highest goal. They believed that the will of God could not be stopped, and sometimes His will involved loss of possessions or the death of a loved one, both of these caused pain. TO avoid this pain of loss the Stoics tried to remove desire and emotion from their lives, they tried to be dependant upon nothing and no one. But this existence is one without relationships and love, so it ends up being lonely and in some ways just as painful.

Paul says to his audience that he has attained their highest goal; he has become content in all things. The stoics believe that this was a human achievement attained by self-discipline. Paul says to them, it isn't through anything I have done, it is a divine gift. Christ is the one who gives me strength to endure any circumstances I face. Paul knew that the only thing that mattered was Christ, and that nothing would ever be able to separate him from Christ. Because he had Christ and would always have Christ, Paul was content.

As we prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving on Thursday, let us reflect on all of the ways we have been blessed. As we gather with family, or remember family who are no longer with us, let us find strength in the presence of Christ that is available to us. As we prepare to celebrate the Christmas season, let us look for ways to be a blessing to others. We have been richly blessed, let us be a blessing to others.

May Thanksgiving be the Ash Wednesday of Advent. May Advent be to Christmas what Lent is to Easter, a time of preparation and reflection, as we prepare to celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior. His presence is the greatest blessing we have been given. Let us take it and bless others.

Do you know how a life of being content and blessing others ends? Genesis 25.8, "Abraham breathed his last and died in a ripe old age, an old man and satisfied with life; and he was gathered to his people." Abraham was blessed by God and a blessing to others. He died satisfied with life. 2 Timothy 4.7-8, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing." Paul was content with the presence of Christ in his life. He knew that he would stand in the very presence of Christ and receive the crown of righteousness.

Their ending can be yours as well. You can die satisfied with life. You can face death with the same words as Paul. Embrace the person of Jesus Christ. We have been greatly blessed, let us be a blessing.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment