Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Don't Debate, Discuss

In his book, Mere Christianity, author C.S. Lewis says, "If you are a Christian you do not have to believe that all the other religions are simply wrong all through... If you are a Christian, you are free to think that all those religions, even the queerest ones, contain at least some hint of the truth... when I became a Christian I was able to take a more liberal view. But, of course, being a Christian does mean thinking that where Christianity differs from other religions, Christianity is right and they are wrong."

Liberal here does not have anything to do with a political stand point, but simply means being open minded. Christianity frees us to be open minded. One of my professors said once, "If you are firm in your faith, don't be afraid to read the Book of Mormon, don't be afraid to read the Koran." He's right. I know the truth, I am rooted in the truth that I have found in Christianity. Because of this, that which is not truth will not shake me.

I am able to take a more open minded view, not looking for how the differences in belief between Christianity and Islam, or Buddhism, or Hinduism are ok and all have the same end result, but I can look at each religion and see the elements of truth in each one. I have not yet read the Koran, and I have been meaning to begin my study of the religions of the world. All of it is academic. I am not searching for proof that my belief is correct, I am not exploring to see if these other religions are the Truth, but I am searching for the elements of truth, showing that really everything comes back to Jehovah. All truth is God's truth, and so any truth anywhere points back to God.

1 Timothy 1.5, "But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith."

As a Christ follower, my motivation is love, 1 Corinthians 16.14, "Let all that you do be done in love." The goal is love. Jesus said, “Love God, love your neighbor.” The whole purpose of Christianity is to produce love. Love will always save us. It saves us from destructive thinking and speaking. It saves us from arrogant and condescending thoughts. It saves us from condemning things we don’t agree with or understand. It saves us from expressing our views in a way that hurts others. We are motivated by love, not legalism.

1 Peter 3.15, "but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;" I must know what I believe and why I believe it. When I am asked, I must be ready to share it. But I am to do it with gentleness and reverence. I am to give my reasons for my faith in love.

The goal is a pure heart. The word pure means without any contaminating impurity. My motives are pure and unmixed. There is no need to prove myself; the only desire is to lead others nearer to God by sharing the truth in love. This is why I hate debating; this is why I refuse to debate. In a debate it’s two people trying to prove their intelligence to win an argument. I won’t do that. I’ll discuss a topic with people, discussion is a good thing, debating isn’t. Through calm rational discussion we can show the truth of God.

A good conscience comes from living a life without shame. It gives us the right to say what we say, because it is backed up by a life that lives out what its saying.

Sincere faith is faith with no hypocrisy. We simply desire to know truth and to share it. This is the simple life that Christ has freed us to have. It isn’t a life worried about keeping the rules, because it isn’t under the law. It’s freed from the law; it’s freed from worry and anxiety, and is able to focus fully on living for God.

Debating does nothing, it accomplishes nothing, and therefore it is a dangerous tool. In a debate people are close minded, they have fixed themselves to a belief, and they refuse to even listen to anything contrary, except to be able to refute it with an argument supporting their thought process. Nothing is accomplished through this type of stubbornness except building walls and creating chasms. Instead of debating, let's discuss.

As Christians let us know what we believe, let us know why, let us make our faith our own. Let's be motivated by love. May our hearts be pure and our motives unmixed. May our lives be lived above reproach, may we show what true Christians are, and may we not be the group that Gandhi mentions in his quote, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ." Let us have a sincere faith that simply desires truth. A faith that seeks the goal of Christlikenss in our own lives and strives to fulfill the purpose of helping others become Christlike.

Let's be willing to discuss, to listen. We cannot and will not compromise on our beliefs, but that doesn't mean we cannot talk with people whose beliefs are different. We must earn the right to talk, we must earn the right to share. Look again at the verse from 1 Peter, "but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;" When we are asked, earn the right to talk. We must live lives of love and when people ask, "Where does this come from? Why are you different?" we have done what Jesus has told us to do. We have earned the right to talk by living like Christ.

When the time comes to share, don't do it in a way that says you're right and everyone else is wrong, that completely goes against and destroys everything you've built up to this point. Share the truth in love, do it with gentleness, meeting them where they are, that's how Lewis wrote Mere Christianity. Do it with respect.

My mentor has told me countless times, "No one ever become a follower of Christ because they lost an argument. People become followers of Christ because they are shown love." That is the goal of our instruction, love.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment