Friday, June 3, 2011

Contentment

Yesterday was day 24 in 1 Timothy. I've revised it a little so really it was day 30, I forgot to include my initial overview reading. The section I studied was 1 Timothy 6.6-8, "But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content." Again, I must share what I found in William Barclay's insights.

What is contentment according to the Bible? The Greek word is autarkeia (ow-tar-kia). This word is free of all outward things. It is free of possessions. It is the secret of happiness within itself. Contentment never comes from the things we own, the junk we acquire, but from the attitude we live with.

Possessions don't have the power to make us happy. There is nothing I own that cheers me up when I've had a rough day. But do you know what does? Time with Janette. Time with one of my brothers. Time with people I love. The key to happiness is in relationships.

Happiness comes from friendship and love. These things come from people, not stuff. It comes from things that last. Our focus needs to be on things that are permanent.

Barclay says that there are only two things we can take before God, ourselves, and the relationship we have with Him. That relationship with God that Jesus Christ made possible through His death and resurrection, is the greatest of all the personal relationships we could have. Again, thank you Mr. Barclay for your insights.

Contentment lies in knowing that I am loved by God. It comes from knowing that nothing can separate me from His love, Romans 8.38-39. It comes from realizing that the God who spoke creation into existence knows my name, and not only knows my name, but He desires a personal relationship with me (Galatians 4.9, John 3.16-17). That is a big deal.

Why would I not be content in that? Why do I let temporary things get in the way? Why do I focus on things that don't matter at all?

May all of us find true contentment and happiness in the permanent things of life. May our time be invested into relationships that will last a lifetime. May our lives be spent in relationship with the One who designed relationships and made the ultimate relationship possible.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment