Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Life Transformation

Over the last several years I've grown up. I've become more mature, as it says in 1 Corinthians 13.11, "when I became a man, I did away with childish things." My thinking has developed, the way I read the Bible has become more mature and insightful, and the way I see life is more meaningful then it was when I started college back in 2005. That's a good thing, it shows it wasn't a waste of time.

After a few years of ministry, as an intern, part-time, and full-time, the way I see ministry has changed. I don't know what I used to think the point was, obviously it was really significant. I've blogged before about the goal and purpose of life, becoming like Christ and helping others become like Christ,that's why we're here, and ministry needs to reflect that.

Ministry is not about behavior modification. It isn't about getting someone to an altar for an emotional conversion. I'm not saying those aren't genuine times of repentance in people's lives, but more often then not they are done on a whim, people don't know what they are signing up for, and more often then not it doesn't last.

Salvation is something that takes time. Leading someone to Jesus for salvation takes time. You don't lead strangers to Christ, you lead friends. You have to earn the right to talk to people, you have to earn the right to share. You have to live a life that reflects Christ and the change He has made in you. That is what will lead people to Jesus. That is what leads to real relationships with the Risen Lord.

I was reading in Luke this morning, "When the unclean spirit goes out of a man, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, and not finding any, it says, 'I will return to my house from which I came.' And when it comes, it finds it swept and put in order. Then it goes and takes along seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they go in and live there; and the last state of that man becomes worse than the first." (11.24-26)

The life has been set free, it's been cleaned up, but nothing has filled it. The behoavior has been modified, but not transformed. Because of this, it's easy to fall back into the old way of life. All it takes is a little bit of stress, a small amout of pressure, and you're right back where you started in your old life style. Ministry is not about behavior modification, but about life transformation.

Jesus didn't tell people simply to stop doing something, He called them to leave an old life style (John 8.11). He called people to take up their cross and follow Him (Matthew 16.24). Jesus didn't modify people's behavior, He transformed their lives.

That is what we are called to do, lead lives to transformation. People aren't a notch on our spiritual belts, and they know when you treat them that way. Jesus didn't tell us to make converts, He told us to make disciples (Matthew 28.18-20).

Teach people to obey everything that Jesus commanded, then behavior will change because it will be the result of a transformed life. Then it will be a genuine, lasting thing.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment