Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Distractions

I've been a senior pastor now begining my fourth full week. Years ago during college I met with a pastor to interview him for a paper, and he told me this, "85% of pastors spend less than 15 minutes a day with God, you can't be in ministry like that. Those who sit at the feet of Jesus will survive." That day I decided I wouldn't be part of that 85%.

In Michigan I would spend an hour in the sanctuary before any one else got to the office. That lasted a few months, then there started to be distractions. I started to get to the office later, still earlier than everyone else, but no where near an hour earlier. I began doing short prayers in my office. It was good, but not what I needed.

Now as a senior pastor it's even more crucial that I spend my time with God. But now after just three full weeks I'm feeling the distractions move in. I'm getting married in August, and there is so much with that that needs to be taken care of. I am close to an hour and a half away from my fiance and best friend which doesn't help. Late night conversations cost sleep. Lack of sleep makes getting up that much harder. Getting up later costs time.

I don't want any distractions to get in the way of me and God, and our relationship. I am now responsible for the Spiritual leadership of a group of people, and I'm just a 24 year old kid.

Daddy, I need you to help me battle through the distractions. I think of all the things that would help and make it easier, that would take the distractions away, but right now I don't have the luxury of those things. Until I do, help me to fight through them, to daily fall before your throne, to daily be lead by you, and to daily become more like you. Help me to be the leader this church, these people, and this community needs and deserves. And do all of this to the glory of your name.

May that be the prayer of all of us.

Peace be with you

2 comments:

  1. "things" can be a distraction. That is why I am trying to get rid of a lot of my crap. Relationships with friends, Family, and God take way too much work to have all kinds of material things to get in the way and divert your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. distractions come in all shapes and sizes. thank you for sharing, it's oddly encouraging and unifying all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete