Monday, October 4, 2010

Question from God

Recently God has been asking me a question, "Bill, what are the desires of your heart?" Every time He's asked my answer has been, "I don't know that I know." So right now that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Desire- (noun) strong conscious impulse to have, be or do something

Conscious- aware, intentional

Impulse- moving force

In Biblical language the heart is the center of the human spirit. It is the source of emotions, thoughts, motivations, courage, and action. It's the source of life. The desires of the the heart are the things that make us come alive. St. Irenaeus once said, "The glory of God is man fully alive." The glory of God is man living to the fullest, living life in a way that exercises our passions and creativity in a way pleasing and honoring to God. The desires of our heart are the things that drive us to do our best, the things that challenge us to be the best we can.

So the real question I'm facing is what makes me come alive? What am I driven to have, do and to be?

Have:

I want to have a family. I want to marry my best friend and spend my life living an adventure with her. I want to help her see how beautiful and captivating she is to me, but more importantly to God. With her I want to raise some incredible kids. Boys who are warriors for the Lord of Lords, girls who are princesses of the King of Kings.

I want land, somewhere I can escape into the wilderness and just hide from the rest of the world with my Daddy for a while. A place to escape to refuel the fire.

I want a canoe and a dog.

Do:

I want to travel, mostly to Israel, as much as I can. I want to spend Easter in Jerusalem walking through the last days of the life of Christ, going where He did, seeing what He saw, trying to understand it all.

I want to bike across America from San Francisco, California to Yorktown, VA with Jeremy.

I want to backpack in as many states as I can.

I want to climb Mount Everest.

Be:

I want to be the pastor of an incredible church. A church that would fall apart if the Spirit left. A church that if it disappeared the community would notice and be affected.

I want to be the leader of an incredible staff with a vision focused on building the Kingdom. The leader of a staff that is united as a team working together for the Kingdom.

I want to be a husband and a father.

I want to be a man who Lives in the Spirit, Preaches the Gospel of Jesus, and Glorifies the Father.

I want to be a man after God's own heart.

Ultimately, I want to be in a constant relationship with my Daddy. I want a new passion for Him daily. I want to daily become more like my Lord and Savior, and to help others become more like Him.

Live, Preach, Glorify

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment