Monday, October 25, 2010

Did you know...?

I've been in the process of moving back to Ohio for about a month now, and last week I finally finished taking care of everything for my vehicle. During this process I learned something new. In order to obtain a new Ohio driver's license I was required to take a written exam! That thing that I took way back when I was 16 in order to get my license and that thing I haven't thought about since, yeah I had to retake that.

In case you're wondering, I did worse this time. The first time I took it I only missed two questions, this time I missed five, after the fourth one I began to think, "Wow, if I fail this, that's going to suck a lot." But in the end I passed, and I am once again a citizen of the great state of Ohio.

As I look at the questions I missed, most of them were about drunk driving and the legal alcohol limit, I started to go into pastor mode and think, "What can I use this for?"

As look at the questions I got right the answer came to me.

Romans 16.17-19, "Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them. For such men are slaves, not of our Lord Christ but of their own appetites; and by their smooth and flattering speech they deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting. For the report of your obedience has reached to all; therefore I am rejoicing over you, but I want you to be wise in what is good and innocent in what is evil."

The reason I missed the questions about drinking and driving is because it isn't something I'm concerned about or experienced with. I honestly don't care what the legal alcohol limit is for me to drive because I have no need to know that. The questions I got right, the ones about what street signs mean, what to do in certain driving situations involving school buses or bikers, I got those right because they are things I do all the time when I drive. I am wise in the things that are good for driving, knowing the laws, know what to do, but innocent in regards to something that can cause death to others while driving.

Now what about my God walk? If I had to take a written test of being a Christ follower I'd pass with flying colors, I've grown up around it and I know all the answers. But the written test doesn't matter. Anyone can pass the written test, just study a few things and you'll pass. What matters is life, being on the road. What matters is living out the answers to the test.

I'm a pastor, and it would suck a lot if I failed the God walk test. What about you?

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment