Monday, May 3, 2010

And we wonder why it is the way it is

This was not the original thought I had for today, it was going to be on the church, but that will be saved for later, maybe it'll fit in to this, we'll see. Every Monday morning I send a text message to 9 of the best friends I've ever had, 9 of my 10 Proverbs 18.24 brothers (the last one doesn't have texting). Each week begins with them getting a text message asking how I can pray for them this week. Today one of them sent me a request for Lebron James' elbow, and that started a discussion between us.

Look at Lebron, or any professional athlete, they have a skill for what they do, a God given ability, to play a sport. Irenaeus said, "The glory of God is man fully alive" and so when an athlete does what he does best that can be a way to glorify God. The issue I have is with what they receive as compensation for this skill.

Lebron makes millions because he can put an orange sphere through a circle consistently. I'm not bashing him, I know he gives millions away each year, as do many people with great wealth, and many without it. The issue is not on the athlete, but on the society that embraces him.

What does a professional athlete, a musician, or actor contribute to society, not based on what they do with their wealth, but with the skills they have? Honestly very little. But society embraces them as if they cured cancer, ended world hunger, or brought peace to the Middle East. But really they contribute nothing to the greater good of society. So why do we embrace them as we do?

I remember back shortly after the death of Michael Jackson, I read something wanting to make the day of his death a national holiday. Really? Is he the person we want to idolize? If so, we wonder why our society is the way it is. We wonder why it's so messed up and why we have so many problems, look at where our focus is. Again, none of this is directed at any of the individual people.

Where is our focus? Who or what do we live for? We wonder why our society is the way it is? Look at what we idolize, and by that what we worship, and that explains a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment