Monday, March 1, 2010

He calls me Friend

Over the last few weeks there as been a verse on my mind, Galatians 4.9a, "But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God" the more I think about it, the more amazed I get.

I think back to one of my theology classes in college, we talked about the vastness of creation. Look at the universe, not simply our solar system or our galaxy, but the entire universe. The current estimates I found is that there are somewhere between 100 and 200 billion galaxies in the universe, a universe that we don't even know how big it is because we can't even see it all!

Louie Giglio has a DVD called Indescribable, where he talks about the vastness of the universe, he mentions a verse in it, where God measures the universe with his hand. He can hold it in his hand! If we look at our galaxy the world doesn't even show up. Even in our solar system it appears as a pal blue dot. But to that pal blue dot God came as a human, not to live a simple life, but to die a painful, humiliating death.

John 15.13-15

"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.You are My friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you."

He died for us, he calls us his friends! The creator of a universe so big that we can't even comprehend it, loves us so much not just to create us, but to be involved in our existence, to die in order to redeem us, and calls us his friends! It truly is indescribable.

Galatians 4.9 says, "or rather to be known by God." Who cares that we know God? We should know him, he made the universe, he holds it in his hand, so what's the big deal for us to know him? But for him to know us, that's what's so incredible. The fact that while we exist in an incredible universe, amid countless stars which God knows by name (Psalm 147.4) he calls us his friends, truly is indescribable.

No comments:

Post a Comment