Monday, March 8, 2010

The Goal for the Christian

What is the ultimate goal that followers of Christ strive to attain? Many would probably say something along the lines of getting to Heaven and spending eternity in the presence of God. This idea is presented heavily in churches that I have attended, not always explicitly, but this is the general idea I pick up from the places I've been.

It's an idea that is presented in many songs. I look at hymns like, Wayfaring Stranger, "I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger traveling through this world of woe, but there's no sickness no toil no danger in that bright world to which I go. I'm going there to see my father, I'm going there no more to roam." The song, When we all get to Heaven, "When we all get to Heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be. When we all see Jesus, we'll sing and shout the victory." There are many others that point to this idea of, "Let's just hold on, one day we will get to Heaven which is the goal."

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the hymns, that is not my intention at all. I love them, they are full of so much great Theology, and I believe they truly are a treasure we can not afford to lose. But I think we've lost sight of the true goal, of what we are supposed to be striving for.

Heaven is a wonderful place, but I don't believe that Heaven is our goal. When God first created the world it was perfect, there was no sin, no death, and therefore no need for us to have heaven because the world was perfect. The goal was never to leave the earth, and I don't want to get into a discussion about my views of where Heaven is, but the purpose for us was never to die, and therefore Heaven wasn't what we were to strive for. And I honestly don't think anything else has changed.

Romans 8.28-30 says, "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified."

Here we are told that everything will work for the good of those who love God, who are called according to his purpose. It is not that everything works for good because we love God, it works for good because we are following the purpose of God. Next we see that we are called to be conformed to the image of his son. The word predestined, according to William Greathouse, refers to an invitation, not an order, God did not select some to become like Christ and others not to, he makes the offer to everyone, but because of love God does not force it upon anyone. It is a plan, not a script. So we are predestined to become like Christ, only after that does glorification happen, and glorification would be Heaven. So the goal is not heaven, the goal is becoming more like Christ.

Paul says, in Philippians 3, how he has counted everything as loss compared to knowing Christ. He talks about how he will share in Christs suffering, and even his death because he will be raised to a new life in Christ. He says that he is forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to the goal, the prize of the upward call of God. This call is not to make it through life to get to Heaven, the call is to become like Christ.

I really believe that is the true goal, that is the true purpose, to become like Christ. Heaven will be great, and I can't wait to get there. I can't wait to see Jesus, to fall at his feet and say thank you, if I'm even able to speak at all. But I don't want to live my life waiting for Heaven, and I don't think I'm supposed to. I want to be more like Jesus, every day I want to become more like him. That is what this is all about.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment