Wednesday, February 5, 2014

God Will Provide the Lamb

Life has been more hectic than I thought it would be, and so my blogging here has been less than I thought it would be as a result.  But recently I've had a couple thoughts I really want to share, and so hopefully I can write over the next few days.

In our group Bible study a few weeks ago we read about Abraham sacrificing Isaac, and I noticed some things that I haven't before.  Abraham places the wood on his son, who carries it to the place where the sacrifice would be offered.  Then Isaac is laid on the wood to be killed.  God spares him, and then provides a ram to be sacrificed.  Abraham told his son the God would provide, and He did.

Now look ahead to the New Testament.  Jesus has a wooden cross placed on Him, and He carries it to the place where the He would be offered as a sacrifice.  There He lays down on the cross and is sacrificed as the Lamd God provided.

It is important to note the attitude of both men.  Isaac was probably in his late teens or early twenties at this point.  He could have easily over powered his father and not have almost been killed.  But he doesn't, and in him we see a willingness to do the will of God.   And in the same way Jesus, who could have easily overcome those who crucified Him, willingly lays down on the cross and is nailed to it to fulfill the will of God.

Finally, Abraham came out of a society where child sacrifice was common.  It would not have been unheard of in his mind for God to ask for his son.  But in this God shows more of His character.  He shows Abraham, this is not how we do things in my Kingdom.

With Jesus we see God again showing us His character.  We deserved the cross because of our sin.  But Gid says, "No, in My Kingdom, I will sacrifice my Son to save you."  He cannot over look sin, but He will not leave us to deal with it on our own.

God has provided the Lamb.

"I have been young and now I am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his descendants begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment