Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Bible on Church, Colossians 1

"He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything." Colossians 1.18

"Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body, which is the church, in filling up what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions." Colossians 1.24

The Church is the body of Christ. Christ is the head, and verse 18 tells us that He is the beginning. The Church starts with Christ. He is the one who leads it, guides it, and instructs it. Christ is the standard that the Church is to follow. Christ is to be the focus of the Church, not Mary, but Christ.

In verse 24 Paul says, yet again, that he rejoices in his sufferings, doing his share on behalf of the body. Suffering is part of following Christ. We will suffer because Christ, the head suffered, and when the head suffers the whole body is affected. Paul rejoices, as we all should, because the suffering is done for Christ's sake, to make him more like Christ.

This thought just came to me, but when part of my body has been injured, I am constantly aware of it from that moment on. I had a wrestling accident about ten years ago where I had three of my teen broken. Every time I bite something I think about them. I have had other injuries (some self-inflicted stupidity ones) that have left scars I see daily. I wear glasses, something that wasn't a result of injury, but something that doesn't work as it should, and I am constantly aware of my poor vision.

When part of the body suffers the head is immediately aware of it. Nerves send messages to the brain to let it know that there is pain. The body of Christ works the same way. If you are part of the body of Christ, God knows your paid the moment it happens. The moment you feel pain, for any reason, God feels it with you. And the Church is to feel their pain as well. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 12, the chapter on Spiritual gifts, "And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it" (verse 26).

The Church is the body of Christ. All those who call are believers make up the body. Paul says we are individual members of it (1 Corinthians 12.27). Each member is essential, each member has a function that must be carried out. When one part suffers they whole body is to feel for them and support them. And when one part rejoices all are to rejoice with it. We are one body, with Christ unifying us and holding us all together.

We are the body of Christ, literally His hands and feet. So let us live as Christ leads. Let us look and be like Christ. We are His body, let's act like it.

"I have been young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or his descendants begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment