Friday, April 19, 2013

Ancient Social Custom

As part of the class I did for the Israel trip I had to read a book. I was smart and ended up re-taking the class I took for my undergrad on the trip four years ago, this time for master's credit. I had kept one of the books from the previous class and had the chance to re-read it this time. It's mentioned off to the right under my suggested reading.

Jesus and the Land by Charles Page, something about it had hit me on the first read through that I decided to keep it, and for some reason I also thought it was good enough to recommend that other people read. I had all of this in mind as I started it again, and at first I wondered what I had been thinking. There isn't much in the first chapters that hit me as significant or important. Until recently I didn't do much underlining in books, so I had nothing marked in it and had no way of knowing what had inspired me to keep it.

But then I got to the chapter on the Galilean ministry of Jesus, and one of the most thought provoking statements I've read hit me. "To be offered a drink and then to receive that drink of water was like a social contract in that this act of hospitality would require both the giver and the receiver to be friends for one year. There was also an implied social contract between people who ate together, requiring that they be friends for the rest of their lives."

This simple insight into the cultural protocol of the first century reveals a deeper meaning to so many statements and actions of the New Testament. There is the woman at the well in John 4, Judas at the last supper, and the first thought that hit me, Paul in Romans 12.20, "But if your enemy is hungry, feed him, and if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head." The knowledge of this ancient social custom casts all of this in a new light.

The woman at the well was a Samaritan woman of questionable character, and yet Jesus publicly talks with her, and asks her for a drink. He is offering her His friendship for one year by receiving the physical water, but then offers her living water, eternal friendship.

To Judas, His betrayer, Jesus shares His final meal before the cross. He and Judas share a moment when Jesus hands him a morsel (John 13), that came with the offer of lifelong friendship. Knowing what Judas was about to do, what he would leave to do as soon as the morsel was eaten, and yet friendship is the final thing Jesus offers to Judas as he leaves to betray Him to death.

And the words of Paul to the Roman Church, "if your enemy is hungry feed him, and if he is thirsty give him a drink" turn your enemy into your friend. Offer him lifelong friendship, offer him friendship for a year, and "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good" (Romans 12.21).

Today if you visit Israel, as well as some other Middle Eastern countries, when you enter some hotels and businesses you will often be offered a beverage. In Israel I've been given juice, Egypt soda, Turkey tea and one carpet store owner bought our group lunch. I don't know that these signs of hospitality still carry the same meaning, but they might. As you enter a place to stay or do business the owner offers you his friendship.

Christianity is a about love. With this insight we again see that Jesus was teaching His followers and those He interacted with, what God is really like. We have been offered friendship with God. In the Church we celebrate the sacrament of Communion together. We eat the bread which symbolizes the broken body of Jesus, we drink the juice (in some cases wine) which represents His shed blood. We share a meal together, we commit to a lifelong friendship, and if this is the case why is there so much in the Church that isn't done among friends? That's all I'm going to say on that, at least for now.

The message of Christianity is the love of God. It is a message that turns enemies into friends. And as we see another aspect of the cultural world of the Bible, we see even more clearly who Jesus was, what He really said and taught, and more clearly of how to become like Him.

"I have been young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or his descendants begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment