Tuesday, October 2, 2012

When Not If

Psalm 37.23-24, "The steps of a man are established by the Lord,and He delights in his way. When he falls, he will not be hurled headlong, because the Lord is the One who holds his hand."

The Bible says that "When he falls", not "If", but "When". We're going to stumble, the wilderness is inevitable, hardships are part of being a follower of Christ. And for the past year I've been experiencing that first hand. I've shared some of the journey, and now I have to share part of where we are now.

A few weeks ago I was laying in bed, my back turned to my wife because I was fighting back tears. I had spent most of the day just feeling like God didn't care about me at all. Things just were piling up. People who I thought would be there for me weren't, and my wife and I just felt very alone.

Right now I don't know how we're going to make it. Things just keep hitting us from every direction. I don't know where we're going live in twelve days. We have bills that we don't know how we're going to pay. I'm wondering why God has given me a call that He isn't letting me do anything with. I feel like no is ever going to give me a shot, like no one is willing to take a chance on me.

Honestly, right now if God doesn't show up, we're not going to make it. If God doesn't open a door, I don't know what I'm going to do. But as I read the verse that says "When he falls," if have to focus on the rest, "he will not be hurled headlong, because the Lord is the One who holds his hand."

God is holding my hand. Even if I can't feel it, He is with me. He will come through, He always does. And as I type that I'm thinking, "Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief." God will come through, because right after that, Psalm 37.25, declares this, "I have been young and now I am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his descendants begging bread."

I don't know what's going to happen. I know I have a wife who loves me and respects me. I know that the Bible says God loves me, that He will never leave me or forsake me, and that He holds my hand. God will come through for us. We will fall, but we will not stumble headlong because God has my hand. I will fall, but I won't land on my face in the dirt, because God has my hand.

I'm still working on believing that all the time. The reality is that there are still days when everything else builds up and it's hard to have hope. But over and over the Bible tells about how God came through for His people. The Bible is clear that we will face difficulties, but that God will lead us through all of it.

"I have been young and now I am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his descendants begging bread." That will be my testimony.

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment