Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Gospel and Baseball

I haven't really been a baseball fan since the late '90s. Back then the Cleveland Indians were one of the dominate teams in Major Legue Baseball. From 1995-1999 they had two World Series appearances, and were division champions every year. I'm not a fair-weather fan, the reason I stopped following them was because all the players began to be traded, or retire. It got to the point in the early 2000's that I didn't know who anyone was anymore, and lost interest.

I haven't watched much baseball in the last twelve years, but Sunday night I was flipping back and forth between Peyton Manning and the Broncos and game 4 of the World Series. After Peyton had secured the win with a 20 point lead and about a minute and a half left I switched and finished the world series.

The game was tied 3-3 and went into extra innings. The San Francisco Giants took a 4-3 lead in the top of the tenth inning, and as the Detroit Tigers stepped up to the plate trying desperately to stay alive something caught my eye. In the seats right behind home plate there was an individual with a bright green sign. In black letters it said, "John 3:16".

I didn't notice it until the final three batters stepped up to the plate. But as the series neared its conclusion the individual in the front row held the homemade sign high, and immediately a stadium worker went up to the person and had them lower the sign. I don't think it was because of the message, I think it was because it was blocking the view of the people behind him. But even in that you see the enemy trying to silence the message of the Gospel.

I don't know how many people are saved by signs like that, but my guess is that it isn't many. Part of me wonders why people try to evangelize with signs since there is no relationship with the people reading it. But regardless, the message is being put out there, and rather than giving the referance full of anger and condemnation, John 3.16 proclaims the love and salvation that God offers. And wherever the message is proclaimed, the enemy works to shut it down.

It might be someone telling an individual at a sporting event to lower a homemade sign. It could be filling a new believer with fear or doubt. It could be in hardening the heart of an individual over time so that when the message is presented to them they reject it out of bitterness. The message of the Gospel is the most crucial message that must be shared,

The words of the Gospel are the words of life, and the enemy doesn't want them to be shared. And he will do whatever it takes to try and stop it. The question is, will you persever and share them? Will you refused to be silenced and proclaim the essential message of truth?

It all begins with a relationship, and as we get to know people we have the chance to live the gospel out before them, sharing it with not only our words, but our actions as well.

"I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread."

To God alone be the Glory!

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment