Monday, October 24, 2011

Servant Warriors

Very often I think about weapons and warriors, I'm a guy. If I wasn't a pastor my dream job would be US Navy SEAL, the most elite commandos in the world. That wasn't God's calling on my life, at times I'm grateful, but there are still times my heart longs for the adventure and the battle. I really wish I had served my country after high school, but again that wasn't what God had in mind. My wife constantly reminds me that if I had enlisted I never would have met her, and for that fact alone, I'm glad I didn't.

The Navy SEALs fascinate me, but there are ancient warriors that I love as well, my favorite are the SEALs of the ancient world, the Spartans. These men were some of the toughest human beings ever to walk the planet. They lived and breathed battle. I wasn't able to get to Sparta when I was in Greece (sadly), but talking with a friend I learned that there really is nothing there. There's a statue of Leonidas, the King at the time of the Battle at Thermopylae (a location I did get to go to), but that's really all that is in Sparta as I've been told. There is no art, no architecture; they didn't have time for it because it didn't relate to combat and training for battle.

There are a few material things in life that I really want. One of them is a Spartan shield. I've been looking for over a year now, and I found one on the internet a few weeks ago that is full size and looks authentic. I showed my wife and told her, someday I'd love one. The reason is threefold. One is that it's awesome, I'll be honest there. Second, we're in a war against evil, and all warriors need a shield, so why not have the greatest shield ever made. Third, is the reminder of how no Christ follower is to go it alone.

The strength of the Spartan army was in the phalanx. In this formation the warriors stand side by side, and their massive three foot shields not only protect them, but their brother next to them. One of the greatest shames for a Spartan was to lose his shield because without it there could be no phalanx, one weak spot and the whole thing falls apart. The church is similar.

I'm taking a two week break from John to look at the idea of joining the work in the second half of the story of the woman at the well. God has a work that He has invited us to share in. He's enlisted us as soldiers in the war Satan has waged against Him (2 Timothy 2). He's not only asked us to join Him, but He's also equipped us for battle. He's given us the Bible to prepare us (2 Timothy 3) as well as armor to protect us (Ephesians 6). But He's also given us gifts to serve.

1 Corinthians 12 tells us that there are many different gifts that all come from God. There is one body of Christ that has many different members, each with a unique function. When each part functions properly, the body is strong and healthy, the body is able to grow. But when part of the body doesn't function as it was made to, there is sickness and growth is hindered.

In a church there are many ministries, and there are many people with a passion of different ministries. The pastor isn't passionate about everything that goes on, and the pastor isn't able to do every job that needs to be done, though some try. We need the other people of the church, the other parts of the body, to fulfill their functions and serve others. We need the other warriors for Christ to pick up their shields and stand beside us to fight the battle with us.

Our focus must be on building the Kingdom. If something we do doesn't help it to grow we need to set it aside. The Spartan's focused on war, and they were the best, the SEALs are the same way. The church must focus on building the Kingdom because nothing else matters.

I'm not saying we have to spend all our free time in Church, not by any means. Take vacations with your family, go out with friends, build those relationships, and in them set an example of what a Christ follower is. That is helping to build the Kingdom. In our relationships show love for others, Jesus said that's how people would know we are His (John 13). Let all that you do be for the Glory of God and for the expansion of His Kingdom.

God has given each person at least one Spiritual gift. No one has all of them, and that's why we need each other. But since we have a gift, we must use it.

Romans 12.6-8, "Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness."

We are servant warriors. Let us use our gifts to serve so that we can build the Kingdom, and join in the victory over Satan.

Peace be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment